Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DMAC Club Logo

I’m very excited to announce that the board met today October 18th 2009 and voted unanimously to officially adopt the graphic currently used on our license toppers as the new logo of the Durant Motors Automobile Club.

You will now see it on both the main page of this website and located at the top of this forum.

We believe that going forward the new image will best represent the DMAC with its vibrate clean look .

Rick Botti
President

Where Are You From? Fremont, California USA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Sport Roadster

Re: DMAC Club Logo

I love it, and cannot wait for the logo on an XL polo shirt or two.

charlie

Where Are You From? NJ CA HI

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant 6-63, 1930 Durant 407, 1931 Durant 619

Rick
I am a tradionalist by heart and love the old logo with all the car companies represented by the club. But the new logo I feel shows an exciting new image as well as a very recognizable logo for our club. Years ago when we had the contest to design a new license topper we had many fine and excellent designs from all over the world. Our own Editor Carol with her fantastic talent won the final contest with her design which is bold and bright. Many of the finest Durant products out there today wear the badge in pride for all to see. Like Charlie I can't wait for the addition of this logo to the polo shirt & "T" shirt line for the club to sell. Let's not completely throw out the old logo though. I'd like to see both of them continued to be used. The AACA just went through a Logo addition a year or so ago. Many like myself like the old AACA logo, but they too came up with a more modern logo to add to their marketing line. They too are keeping both. Thanks Carol see your still a winner with this club!

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

hay im not above having 2 liscense plate toppers old an new, hell i have 2 cars, i old an i new,any way you want i think both are great
dave

Where Are You From? so calif

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 devaux sports coupe, 1932 devaux sports coupe

Let's see, two cars, front and back, that means you can use 4 toppers.

charlie

Where Are You From? NJ CA HI

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant 6-63, 1930 Durant 407, 1931 Durant 619

i am with charlie...but i also have toppers from the original club....oh well....and i also request that we make "real men's" sizes...3x....or for you lechers...xxx.....sized t-shirts....
the new logo is a beauty....regards, gary k

Where Are You From? plymouth meeting, pa. u.s.a.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 6-14 4 dr. "coach" ; 1929 durant model 70 coupe ; 1925 star "F" roadster

Put the emblem as the back picture on one of my desktops.
Certainly has a presence. Makes me think of medieval Europe and knights and kingdoms.

Good Stuff

Guy

Where Are You From? Peace River Alberta

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star

Rick,
Very colorful and interesting New emblem. However I liked the old one very much.

The GARDNER motor car company has always used a very similar Griffin as it's Mascot and Radiator ornament (with multiple variations) and it is in that car company's Coat of Arms. Likewise I noticed a smaller one was only used in a few of the Durant car's & Rugby's rad emblems. Could be confusing.

Could we remove the large "Griffin-like" symbol to avoid confusion with the GARDNER company? I think the large BLUE Star and RED ring with large DMAC text are very powerful by themselves.

Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Hi Lance,

The "Griffin-like" image was inspired by the Durant Griffin used on early Durant radiator emblems, and advertising. If you start from when we first introduced the license plate toppers, this image has been used for a little over four years now and in some ways already represented the DMAC since that time. To my knowledge this type of image including dragons was popular during that era.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 model 60

One weird looking griffin if that's what its supposed to be. Griffin is head, forepart and wings of an eagle, and body, hind legs and tail of a lion. This Chinese dragon thing looks nothing like a griffin. I'd be insulted if that thing was portrayed on my English coat of arms. Can't you see that thing on the USA coats of arms holding the quiver of arrows etc where you have the eagle now ?

At least Billy Durant portrayed the griffin correctly on the crests with beak and tongue etc, and rear legs of a lion and its tail.

Can never understand if it ain't broke why people have to try to fix or change things. I agree Lance the old one was fine.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Rick, Like the Logo.Have you thought about
having it made as a adhevisive sticker to go
on the inside of our windscreens or rear windows.
My vintage car club offers both. Of course
the sticker is far more reasonable in cost and
has more uses.
Cheers John.

Where Are You From? Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928/29 Rugby Wire sided van

Thought there would have been more feed back on the logo, playing the devils advocate, to provoke thoughts about the Chinese dragon thing swallowing another dragon superimposed on the Soviet star. Nothing to indicate the car itself.

I wondered if anyone did any research as to why Billy chose the badge in the first place. Some heraldry thing in the Durant family ? Or could it have been his pride at being American so wanted the American symbol, the Eagle as part of it, but also the pride, speed, and strength of a lion in his automobile, hense the lion. Only symbol seems to be the griffith that combines that.

" A Good Car" "Un Bon Auto"

Norm,
Maybe you are right about multi-animal symbolism? But maybe Rick is right about the popularity of the Griffin:

Last night I read an article about RUXTON (29-31)a beautiful, radical Low-slung, very advanced front-wheel drive luxury car that got caught up in production problems (only 500 produced). Considered a Classic now.

In 1929 they attached their NEW logo "on the radiator, tirecovers, and large oversize hubcaps, (it) was a stylized Griffin"! (Re. Automobile Quarterly).

Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Hey Norm! How about a Moose instead of the griffin? Technically it's not a griffin....it's a Welsh Dragon.

Dave

Na the Moose is Ken's domain. Actually I gather the things are all over the place on Ont, I've only seen one young one crossing the hwy and wondered what the odd animal was, with the bent backwards back legs. Two years ago I saw mother and baby in a field, and lots of cars stopping to look at them. Di and I took a trip up to Thunder Bay (1000 miles from here) a few years back to see our grandson. Saw loads of signs warning of moose crossings. Even a hotel called the Moose Hotel way north of here, and neither Di nor myself saw a hint of a moose. Just rocks and trees, and trees and rocks. Talk about barren countryside. You were warned next closest gas station was 200 miles away.

Your 100% correct, that is exactly a Welsh Dragon and used on the national flag of Wales. Put Welsh Dragon in search engine and up it comes with exact same details. Why do we want a Welsh Dragon instead of a Griffin ?

Photobucket

Lance while I have your attention, those shocks on Ebay 320437222566
fit your Loco's ? The Fronty and 633 Durant used that type.

Ruxton cars by New Era Motors Inc., produced in the Moon and Kissel factories named after William V.C.Ruxton and front wheel drive, no running boards. Powered by a Continental straight eight. Actual production began June 1930 and its interesting to note sedan bodies were built by Budd. You look at the doors of your 610 and the Budd plate ? No I am no expert on Ruxton but know the name, Its also written up in my "The Complete Encyclopedia of Motor Cars 1885 - 1968: given to me by Di on our 1st Xmas 1968. Unfortunately the pic of the car, in the Kenneth Stauffer collection isn't close enough to show badge (crest). What stands out is the Ruxton lights uses on Duzy's, Cords, etc. I think Leno has a set of those lights on one of his Duzy's. You would wonder how any light came out of those thin slit things.

Just a bit more checking and my Merriam Webster's Dictionary has two spellings Griffin and Griffon with pic like the one used by Durant 1921 to 1933.
Checking the car book out of curiosity there was a Griffon made in France by SA des Cycles Griffon Courbevoie, Seine, France. 1906 - 1910, 1921 - 1924

Well known maker of bicycles, motor-cycles, tri-cars. 1906 they introduced a two seater voiturette powered by a 7 hp single cylinder engine. Post-war cyclecar attracted them again to cars again. Their cyclecars used a 984cc V-twin Anzani engine, and had chain drive to gear box and beltdrive to rear wheels.

Photobucket

Rick Norm, et all,
Very interesting about the old car and Griffin or Griffon; Norm!

Last night in my readings I also found that the 1933 Essex Terraplane used a "Griffin", or Welsh Dragon as a mascot! Then Hudson's Roy Capin broke away from Essex and the car became the very successful Hudson TERRAPLANE!!

His concept was; "in order to restore confidence in Detroit's willingness to risk capital and reputation even during a depression economy, significant car companies had to introduce new models and even new namplates". The Terraplane was quite successful for several years.

Rick was right, in that this "Griffin" type mascot was quite popular during these years.
Lance C.

Have to remember Griffin and Welsh Dragon are two seperate "animals". Our "new" logo is Welsh Dragon and Durant used Griffin with eagle / lion. Intersting to note Billy brought out the Eagle for two years as go between Durant and Star but she didn't catch on well. So more eagle part on its crest.

We had two Terraplane's very near the Cumberland museum in the late 60's, sitting in a back yard, near Watson's Garage. That garage now houses the 29 D 40 on the museum grounds. One Terraplane vanished about 10 yrs later and then the other in the 90's. Both idential sedans.

Hi all: I was surprised to learn that we have a new logo. I(as well as most of the club) did not know that we were even looking for a new logo. Like Mike L points out, it was a long drawn out process to achieve our old logo. A couple of things crossed my mind: 1) club recognition. Under the old logo, any potential member can clearly see if his car qualifies for our club. With the new logo, I don't see that happening. What happened to the rest of the cars and members that we represent? (i.e. Flint, Frontenac, etc) 2) Possible logal issues: Do we know if anyone holds a patten for the griffen that we are now using (i.e. other auto manufacturers) and who did the artwork? Sorry but I, Mike L., are on the fence over this issue.

Where Are You From? Sunnie Calie-fornia

Do You own a car built by Durant? Stars, Stars

To address a few concerns; our first logo is an historic part of the DMAC. It was created by our editor Carol who won a contest created by our founder Yates Milton. Come to think of it, that was the first contest the club ever held. That logo got us up and running in those early days and has served as our standard for eleven years now. The second logo was also created by Carol, as Mike pointed out this was from a contest to find a graphic for the new license plate topper. The image has already served as an unofficial logo since it first came out, even if that wasn't the original intention. It's a vibrate image that is very recognizable and that helps the club. While the logo doesn’t contain the emblem of every marquee the club supports, we already display the emblems for each make in our magazine, club banners and by name on the website's opening page. The Griffin, Griffon or Dragon wrapped around a Star is symbolic of the mythological creature Durant used as well as others during the early days in automotive history. The original logo is still with us, it hasn’t gone away, it’s just that the new logo will be more predominant.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 durant Model 60 Sport Roadster

So there you have it, mother (board) has spoken, if its good for us or not.

Much like our metric system no one wanted but the Government just put in place. While everyone was fighting it, they quietly changed the school programs from imperial to metric through the school children as they moved up the classes. Be several generations before all Canadian's understand it. Didn't bother to think we are closely tied to the US who refused to change. Must be similar as switching to Euros but Britain refused to switch.

Wonder if Wales wants royalties, for using their dragon.

Me thinks that I submitted this explaination about the selection of the "dragon" "griffin" or whatever you choose to call it, when I submitted our design in 2006
that Larry and I came up with. It was voted in as the license topper here is the email from long ago:
I thought I would let you know why I chose to put the "Welsh Dragon" on both designs...
I have a copy of the DURANT STANDARD from 1983.
The first page article Headline was""Frills and Decorations"
Here is the story:
"Throughout Durant producion, a dragon appeared on the radiator emblem for all Durant cars and those after Sept.1925 for Star. Now I've heard it called a lion, a griffin and more, but research shows it to have been a dragon, in fact, properly known as the "Red Dragon of Wales" or the "Welsh Dragon" The griffin has the head of wings of an eagle, while the dragon is all dragon, with a long barbed tail and bird-like feet. The question of why Durant chose the dragon for his medallion may never be answered, but perhaps there is a little Welsh Blood in the Durant family tree. The design and choice of colors for the Durant crest used early on Durant cars, also remains a mystery at this time, and research into heraldry books has turned up little information."

After doing a search for welsh dragon, you can clearly see that it is in fact a Dragon,if you look closely at the durant radiator emblem, feet are not lion like, and tail has a Arrow. This should clear up the Griffin terminology :)
Aside from all this I am also a lover of the vintage look. Currently as I understand it, the cover itself will not change, the inside front cover could stay the same if you like, or a B/W version of the topper can go there... But I agree that the Back cover would be a great place to put the color "dragon" since we are paying a premium for color. This new logo will also look great on shirts, membership card, business cards, stationary,or anything that requires reduction in size. We have historically had reproduction problems when the old logo was produced too small.

Where Are You From? Southern Vermont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many

Oh Carol, ya can't take something from the 80's as gospel. More and more we are finding the infomation is incorrect, that was written up in the past. Next time someone is hearing the voice of Billy Durant they can ask him what the beast is supposed to be, ha ha.

Lots of misinfo we are now uncovering.
No such thing as 1933 633 Durant .. fable, there was and is.
Dominion Motors faded into history 1933 but Continental Motors made cars 1934. .. fable 1934 Frontenac's sold Jan 1934 and Co handed in its charter 1944.
Pullman feature was 1930's Durants .. fable 33 / 34 Frontenac's had that feature.
And so on, and not just later cars info ....
Think Lance has sales brocheur for a 613 Durant.

Just wait until a couple of members put out their books correcting things and new info as well.

Aside from all the fun, I think we mainly agree to continue as we have been and stick the new one on the reverse. We can carry both.

Both will be used. The original will remain in its place on page two and the new log will appear on the back cover.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 durant Model 60 Sport Roadster

The new logo is beautiful. Way to go Carol, Rick and Board of Directors.. Have one of Gary Kauffmans Durant Star Owners Club placques proudly displayed in my shop.

Yates

Where Are You From? Four Oaks, NC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 23 Durant

hear hear.. I fully agree with Yates . The new logo is a good looking piece of art and I for one would be happy to display it on my car.
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant Model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Me too!!

Where Are You From? Prescott,Arizona

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star touring

ME THREE>>>>REGARDS< GARY K

Where Are You From? plymouth meeting, pa. u.s.a.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 6-14 4 dr. "coach" ; 1929 durant model 70 coupe ; 1925 star "F" roadster

I am glad that there are alot of people that like the new logo. However, the only problem I see is too many logos will delute the club image. If you want someone to remember your company or image, you must retain your one logo only. i.e. Ford, Chevrolet, Levi's, Neiman Marcus, Nike, etc. I only brought this issue up because of all of my marketing background. I have seen to many companies or clubs sued for using other manufacturers logos. All the best, Sonia

Where Are You From? Sunnie Calie-fornia

Do You own a car built by Durant? Stars, Stars

The Durant Motors Automobile Club