Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Throw-out beariing revisited

A recent forum letter from Guy Belzil about noise from the throw-out bearing unit recieved very little response. For those of us that own these Durant and Star models with the open clutch (no bell housing), It would be helpful for us with this problem area to find out what others know about it. In most cases it is not the bearing, but the collar or assembly that holds it that is making the clicking noise. It is obvious that the whole unit is spinning together with the shaft, but without the pressure of the forks on it,which is most of the time, it is a nuisance. I use grease in the unit myself which helps a bit. We notice that the hole through the unit for the one inch shaft seems larger then necessary. Some of us are familiar with the two differant styles of these units that are on our cars. Some have the straight cylinder shape, others the tulip shaped chamber. The latter probably held more 600 W oil, but both had the same dimentions. I suppose another factor that could cause noise from sideplay could be mis-alignment of the motor to the transmission. That I found out can really chew up the rubber balls in the spicer universal. Does anyone know of any modifications that can be made, such as felt shims, O-rings or anything to shut this thing up as it rests between it's duties of being pushed forward to release the clutch. Thanks for your consideration. Fritz Kuenzel

Where Are You From? Wakeman,Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant M-2

Re: Throw-out beariing revisited

It just sounds like that your bearing is worn out.
The bearing race is probably pitted and worn.
The bearing balls damaged
Take out the unit and see how much wiggle play there is.
If you have axial play and can move the bearing inner race around the bearing is worn out. No matter hoe well you clean and grease it it will always be noisy and eventually fail.
Franz

I don't think it can be the actual bearing. The noise is occuring when the bearing is not being activated by the pressure of the forks in as much as the clutch pedal has not been depressed. This bearing to my knowledge only comes into play when the clutch is being used. With pressure on it there is no noise. The noise is coming from the case or collar when the clutch is released. Again it seems to have a much larger diameter opening through it than is needed for the one inch diameter shaft that goes through it. If the bearing turned all the time they would all be very short lived. Riding the clutch in slow parades is hard on them. Fritz

Where Are You From? Wakeman,Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant M-2

Hello Fritz,
the bearing will always rotate a bit even when the clutch is not depressed.
Is the sound a rattle sound? if thats the case than the lever that push the bearing housing may be to loose or uneven and when the engine is running hit against the bearing housing. A worn bearing will rattle like a box full of marbles.
Franz

Hi Fritz,

Franz is right, you just have a worn-out bearing. Mine sounded like yours until the bearing was replaced. Franz did mine. You may be able to quite it down some by adding steam cylinder oil. I used a good 250 weight (modern rating) oil until mine was repaired.

On the Tech page under Modern Improvements we has an article written by Franz on the subject.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/devaux/DMAC/Tech/Thrust%20Bearing/index.pdf

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, California USA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 durant Model 60 Sport Roadster

The Durant Motors Automobile Club