Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
seats

Where can I find seat springs for my car. Do I have to have them built and if so where can I get them made? I have thought of using foam but dont know if that would work okay. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant model 614 deluxe rumble sear coupe

Re: seats

Hi Ken....

Snyder's Antique Auto Parts in Ohio can make any seat spring. They make them for most of the other dealers.

Check the Parts and Services directory (included with the roster of members) for contact info.

They are located near me if you want to make a road trip!

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy (one horse power)

Frank would any of these work from Mac's (or yourself) ?
Don't have a copy of Old Autos mag to see who else might have something similar, like Ray Ganser of Provost Alberta, who constantly has ads in Old Auto's for a pile of used vintage car parts. Cartouche might be another place.

A5000C2EACH 91.50SEAT SPRING COUPE - FRONT BACKREST 11928-1929
A5000C2EACH 91.50SEAT SPRING CABRIOLET - FRONT BACKREST 11928-1929
A5000C6EACH 91.50SEAT SPRING COUPE - FRONT BACKREST 11930-1931
A5000C6EACH 91.50SEAT SPRING CABRIOLET (68-B) - FRONT BACKREST 11930-1931
A5000CA6LEACH 98.25SEAT SPRING COUPE - FRONT BACKREST 11931
A5000CA6LEACH 98.25SEAT SPRING CABRIOLET (68-C) - FRONT BACKREST 11931
A5000D5EACH 99.75SEAT SPRING DELUXE PHAETON (2 DOOR) - REAR BACKREST 11930-1931
A5000A6EACH 112.00SEAT SPRING REAR BACKREST - CONVERTIBLE SEDAN 400A 11931
A5000C5EACH 113.00SEAT SPRING COUPE - FRONT CUSHION 11930-1931
A5000C5EACH 113.00SEAT SPRING CABRIOLET - FRONT CUSHION 11930-1931
A5000F1EACH 113.25SEAT SPRING FRONT CUSHION - FORDOR SEDAN, BRIGGS, LEATHER & STEEL BACK (60A, 60B & 60C)11928-1929
A5000C1EACH 116.00SEAT SPRING COUPE - FRONT CUSHION 11928-1929
A5000C1EACH 116.00SEAT SPRING CABRIOLET - FRONT CUSHION 11928-1929
A5000A5EACH 134.50SEAT SPRING REAR CUSHION - CONVERTIBLE SEDAN (400A) 11931
A5000D3EACH 161.75SEAT SPRING DELUXE PHAETON (2 DOOR) - REAR CUSHION 11930-1931

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Hi Norm....

The ones MAC's sells are made by Snyders. When I buy from Mac's they are shipped from Snyders.

I never did measure the Model A ones to see if they would work on our cars.

Snyder's will duplicate your old springs if they don't have a pattern.

Do you have a 614 parts book? If the springs from a 4dr sedan would work as patterns I could take a seat out of my (ex Gary K's) sedan. to take over for a pattern.....

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

Frank,
I read your post to Ken on the seats. Would your 614 springs be the same as for my 1930 Durant 610 Sedan?
If so I might have you do the same for me if possible and not too much trouble.

Last question; Do they make Springs only or are they covered?

Thanks, Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Hi Frank ... It was just an idea one of those "Fix Or Repair Daily" A seats might work in our cars. I have no idea if a sedan and coup are the same seats with the 30 - 32 D / F's. All I have ever seen is Durant blue sedans up our neck of the woods for the 30 - 32 models. We must have had coups, tourings and roadsters long ago, as I was told of a deluxe roadster with twin side mounts, luggage rack and all the shiny goodies. I was up Middleville Ont and asking questions about Stephan's 31, as my chum of the 60's dragged the 31 out of a shed up there, and down the roads 1963, until it started, then drove it home to Ottawa. His wife drove the daily one behind. Of course no plates, ins etc. Gee I did the same 1962 with my 30, just not drag it. We did things back then we'd kill our kids if they did the same, ha ha. Couple of the elderly person's there told me I should have seen this fancy 31 / 32 Durant roadster as it kicked up dust, going down the road. No one knows what became of that car.

Lord, you mean there is a 614 parts book ? Or any 30 - 34 parts books other than the fly by night after market Leaside catalogues offering deals on parts, where one catalogue is different to another. You need all the catalogues to come to an educated guess what might come on your car. My 1935 one makes no mention of crank hole cover or stone guard, plus other items, and a generic W8A carb fits the 22A / 32A motors. Steve Larges's 1938 - 39 #39 catalogue breaks down the parts for other than W8A. Was beginning to think my J4A was a jobber or something, until Steve's catalogue and Gord said he had a J4A on his Fronty. Bob Smiths #38 one differs to Steve's on parts and pages. At least both those have crank hole cover for 614 and 618 (with flat rad). 618 can have V type rad. Yet no cover for anything else. Plus the stone guard for 614 but adaptable to other Durant 30 - 32 models except V 618 rad. Again I get the feeling the guard was standard equipment on Dominion Motors 614 / 618's (flat rad) Its not shown in my Durant Motors Leaside 1930 614 sales catalogue of all 614 models. However Stephan's 31 has one, Dot orig did, and my 32 ad of a 618 shows one.

By this time they offered two headlights adaptable to most models. As Bob indicated "fits most models ?" Cool a 1930 headlight on a 1922 Durant or Star. Same with cowl lamps, they offered one cowl lamp either black or nickle plated, yet we know from my 1935 one, there were 22 different cowl lights from drum to acorn type, inc the bracket ones used on 40 / 60's.

Norm

Hi All.....

I have never seen an illustrated parts book for any of the 1930 and up cars. There are some parts price books out there that do list part numbers by specific model.

There are a lot of the "close out" catalogs out there but not a great deal of model specific information.

It would be a good idea for some one to start cataloging model specific info. Gary K started to put this together but has had very little info forwarded to him.

To answer a couple of questions. Norm, you mentioned Cartouche as a possible source. They are actually the upholstery subsidiary of MAC's, and only offer FORD upholstery. Lance, the springs that Snyders make are the bare springs only. They will produce a duplicate from your pattern or old spring. That is how they got started in the business.

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy (one horse power)

Ken as far as seat springs; for the rumble seat you have the back cushion that will have to adapt to the shape of the lid. It slips over the top of the lid and is secured by two screws at the bottom of the lid.For the bottom cushion, the framework has a small tab that locates the spring framework in the back, that fits in that oval hole in the floor. Then to prevent the seat from sliding forward, there is a wood(oak) strip, that will screw into the 'stepdown' section of the rear floor. So for the rumble seat springs the spring framework are what holds it to the car. But for the front cushions, you have the back which attaches to the wooden seat framework which has a metal reenforcing piece and the mechanism for the seat adjust rachet.Then the bottom cushion has a wooden framework that the springs and upholstery attach to and is of course removable to gain access to the underseat toolbox(or where you hid your booze). I had to have my springs made(adapted from rattle 'A' springs). The front seats where mohair and the back were leatherette.

Where Are You From? orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant 6-14 standard coupe

Luckily we are talking Durant Motors when you say mohair upholstery for a 30, Ross. Dominion Motors is another story. Have no idea what the dirty white corded stuff on the seats is. Stephan's 31 and my 32 had same stuff. 30 doors had the map pockets, can't recall Stephan's 31 and mine are behind the front seat. 30 sedan back side windows crank down, our 31 / 32 don't.

Thanks Frank, for sort of confirming after 29 books don't seem to exist. Cartouche is mentioned in Old Auto's, each issue I recalled. Just threw it out there thinking it might be a spot. Few years back there were a lot of uphostery etc places mentioned in the paper around Ont, but they seemed to have vanished or stopped their ads.

Hummm Minikers came to mind a sec ago. While I was there talking to Randy last spring or year before, he pulled a book out from behind him and told me what model a Durant part fit. His father and gfather before owned Minikers Auto Wrecking and Garage business. He's got a pile of old parts books covering any car I guess. That's the type of book we could use for our cars. I very much doubt he would part with any of them. Randy is still selling parts NOS and used 1920 and up.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club