Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chrome plating disappointment

I just received everything back that I sent out for plating a month ago. Problem is I feel rather disappointed with the work. There is a fair amount of pitting on each piece and some interior flash rust on spots like the inner of the headlight buckets. Speaking of headlight buckets i left on the tags (B-L-C) when I sent them, I asked for them to be removed before plating and was told no problem. Well as I'm sure you have guessed they left them on and plated right over the tags. So here is the question, should I be disappointed or was I expecting way to much? I've never had to have anything rechromed let alone a rusty car's bright metal from 1930. For the money I was really expecting an almost new like apperance. Please send your opinion.

Thanks Shaun

Where Are You From? Oregon

Do You own a car built by Durant? 614 (1930) M-2 (1928)

Re: Chrome plating disappointment

Shaun,

You should be disappointed, as plating is 90 percent preparation and it sounds like that was lacking. That is one reason why plating is so expensive around my area. I have a horror story or two myself, but have come across people that do quality work. The best work performed on car Durant’s chrome parts was done by people Lance Haynes knows in San Diego.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, California USA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 durant Model 60 Sport Roadster

The quality of plating varies greatly. Almost all of it depends upon the preparation. Some platers will ask you what level of quality you want and then set prices accordingly. I've had detail ground off, plating over scratches and rust through when acid wasn't neutralized.

Now, I send only a few pieces at a time. I also try to find a place where I can talk to the plater face to face. That way, we are more likely to be on the same page quality wise.

However, pitting especially in places reachable by buffing wheels is unacceptable. But sometimes its almost impossible to remove in hard to reach places. I'd complain.

Where Are You From? San Francisco, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

I'd be disappointed and mad at the same time. I'd call back and speak to the owner and send the stuff back. Did you use a well known plater that is familiar with antique cars and show plating. I sent my tail light bucket and outer piece to Graves plating in Alabama. They advertise in most of the Antique car magazines and in the AACA magazine. It seems from my research that Graves Plating, Paul's Chrome in Pennsylvania and Librandi's plating in Middleburg, Pennsylvania seem to be the top three that advertise most. I received my tail light back yesterday and it is just beautiful and perfect. I had it nickeled as the original and it came back just perfect. It was costly though over $300 and if there had been some repair needed, it would have been more. In my research and postings on this and the AACA forum, the general consensus is your definetly get what you pay for. With all the EPA regulations now for these platers the cost of recycling the waste chemicals and keeping everthing clean is a big added cost for these guys. My recommendation is to try and get your pieces redone by the original plater and then for future pieces go to one of the big guys and ask for "show chrome".

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

I used Graves Plating 15 years ago for chrome and the work was just fine. Prices were about average for good work. They had three levels of quality and prices. "Show" is like you would see at Pebble Beach on a million dollar car. I asked for a notch down from that and was satisfied. I would definitely go back to them.

One mistake I made was to not pre-fit the NOS pieces to my car. They're just a little off.

Where Are You From? San Francisco, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

I hear you Vince .. Yrs back I had an early 1800's carbon steel butter knife re silvered at a well known high end jewelry, figurines, plates etc shop in Ottawa. When I got it back they had ruined it. Handle was orig covered in roses, leaves and swirls. Ground off half of all decorations like they just ran the lower half of the handle through the grind wheel. Was not a very happy camper.

We seem to be in an area of no plating now or minor bits only. Things like shells, bumpers and such have to be sent to Valleyfield Que or southern Ont. Seems plating is harmful to the environment so the shops don't exist any more.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Shawn,
I agree with all that is posted by everyone! Also as Norm says be very aware and ask (Tell!) them to protect the details, ridge-lines, etc. and the edges. Good chrome is getting harder to find, harder to get and much more expensive.

My tip; Make sure that you Photograph your parts and inventory them before (include a Photo-copy with your parts), and after Receiving them..to prevent LOSS, mis-matched items or disagreements! A good company will also do this inventory and inspection too, and then work with you.
Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

hi everyone
for anyone in ontario or nearby the chrome shop of my choice is jim,s polishing scarborough ontario,the work is perfect and no choice between poor,fare or perfect one price one quality .price expensive qaulity perfect.
brian

Where Are You From? victoria bc

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 STAR 6 SEDAN

I agree with Rick. I just got a tail light bucket and parking brake handle back from Lance's guy in San Diego and the job was done perfectly. The price was very good, too. Good plating is very hard to come by and the prices are off the chart, but these folks are the best I've used.

Gary

Where Are You From? Chatsworth California

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Roadster

The Durant Motors Automobile Club