Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trying to find rare piece for Glo Lite headlight

Here's another rare piece I'm trying to find and maybe someone has this piece and wondered what it was. The 1928 Model 65 was equiped with Glo-Lite headlights as advertised in the sales brochure. Not only on the buckets but on the lense was stamped Glo-Lite. The piece I'm looking for is a copper and brass/gold plated piece that sits in front of the bulb and stretches from the top of the reflector to the bottom and fits in a small notch in the reflector. I believe these might have been on the Model 75 also. I was missing both, but obtained one from Wayne Farrand at the Auburn meet. Maybe someone has one stashed and does not know what it's for. Any help would be appreciated.

glo lite headlight reflector piece 2

Glo Lite headlight reflector piece 1

glo light headlight reflector with piece installed

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Re: Trying to find rare piece for Glo Lite headlight

Still looking for this piece. While going through your Durant parts or in your shop, if you see this strange looking piece and was wondering what it is. Let me know.

Mike,

Yes, I was wondering what that part actually does for a living...Does this part take the place of bulbs that have the black painted ends and would you still use that part with a painted bulb?

Thanks, Bill

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 Touring / '29 Model 40 Coupe

Hi Bill!
Not sure what exactly the device does but the parts manual does not list a specialty bulb for this. The part was originally gold plated and I guess reflected some of the light back into the reflector. Kind of a fancy light and really rare. I'm sure one will turn up or I'll try and make one somehow. Gives the light kind of a yellow tint when you look at it from the front through the lens. Another strange thing in line with what we usually know about Durants is that the light has a 3 wires inside the headlight bucket. Two for the main light which has a high & low beam and one for the little parking light that sits on top. It is believed that the parking light was to be wired in sync with the cowl lights so when you turn on your parking/cowl lights this little bulb would also lite up. The kicker is all the wiring diagrams I could find as well as the ones that Rhode Island Wiring Harness records show only have two wires in the wiring harness to the headlight. I'm having them add the 3rd wire so that these will work. I know they are correct for the Model 65 as they advertise in the sales brochure for this model this specific special kind of "new" Glo-Lite. Bill Devries has a model 65 also and his has the Glo-Lite but only with the high/low beam no parking lite. As we say no two Durant's are alike I guess.

Hi Mike.
How many do you want? I have two here in San Diego off a model 65.
Old timers say it spreads the field of light out more evenly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Faithfully
Lance

Where Are You From? San Diego

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many

I knew fellow Durantonians would come through. I'll take both of them. I'll send you a private email. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

OK Mike.
I'll have my worker box them up tomorrow and ship then over to you via FedEx.
Lance Haynes
San Diego

Where Are You From? San Diego

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many

The Durant Motors Automobile Club