Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
installing roof material

Can anyone supply a picture of the method of installing the cobra roofing on my car? I know it has to be put on in hot weather but how is all the metal trim placed?
I am having trouble trying to figure this one out. Does the first metal strip go over the roofing and then the smaller strip wedge into that? Do you nail the roofing down first--then place the first strip then the smaller strip?? someone out there must have figured it out so please --a bit of info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant-model 614-deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: installing roof material

Hi Ken.....

For general instructions on installing the roof material, pick up a good Model A Ford restoration book.

One trick that I have used to stretch the material is to build an oversize frame out of 2 x 4's and tack the material to it. Set this over the top, preferably on a hot day. This will stretch the top. Tack the material to the roof before cutting it off the frame.

Good luck with your car!!!

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

Hi Ken .. think you talking about the top metal trim once you nail the cobra down. Haven't really looked at the pile of orig metal roof trim piled in the back seat of Dororthy. I think its much the same as the rain gutters that go on after you put a million nails above the doors and below top metal edge on 30 - 32 D's. The gutter goes on with more nails and you then press in the hiding strip to hide the nails. Good reason to use white ash that doesn't split with the pile of nails used. So yes it seems the 1st metal strip that should be one piece from front of car right round to middle back. Same other side. Then the smaller strip to hide the nails. Called roof crown moldings. The one I'm not sure about is the molding across the top front that seems to have the nails enclosed in it. This is like the body molding and how one gets inside that to remove nails and put new ones them roll the edges shut is beyond me.
Think the Ford A is differnt with top material going right to door tops and rain gutter hiding those nails. Ours is top only. Perhaps Lance can help us out after doing that 619 with same top as we both have.

Think I have a book here coving any car prior to 1941 called Automotive Body and Fender Repairs by C E Packer. Talks about headliners and replacing roof coverings.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Had time to think on it, Lance made the 619 into a leather back so not as same at all for us. This leather back roofing seems to be covered in the book as well.

Yep the book was beside me and covers everything from soup to nuts. Even tells you time it takes to do jobs so you can price them. Coup top is 2.7 hrs and sedan is 3 hrs. Replace one window shade .4 hrs. Replace front floor mat .4 hrs. Interesting, to remove and install a body is 10 hrs, ha ha. You name it and they give a time line. Tells you next section how to increase shop profit and next section where to buy it. This means metal and body filling (for steel and aluminum body parts. Tools hand, electric, hydrolic, pneumatic. Welding and Equipment ...arc, spot, or ocy acetylene. It seems to be quite the little book. I found it in a house garage the deceased owners father used to be a mechanic / body man in the 40's. Before it went off to the dump with everything else, I rescued it, 4 T /490 wheels (1916 Chev / Ford used same wheels / bearings. 1917 GM had its own parts for 490.)and a wheel wrench that was one tool for both nuts, hub cap, and tire iron, all in one. Thought at 1st it was a buggy wrench of some sort. Have no idea what car its for but seems teens vintage.

How would you like to fix this car ? Seems this car will "necessitate complete body, frame, refinishing service". You be the judge, ha ha. However its all covered in the book to straighten everything.

Photobucket

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club