Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Headlight reflectors

Question for you all. I was taking apart my headlights today and was wondering about the reflectors. Does anybody know if they are silvered or just polished metal? I looked at mine and I cant seen any type of coating on them which I think they use after the re-silver them. Will they just polish up with a good buffing?

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Re: Headlight reflectors

Mike,

They were polished silver as that metal does the best job of light reflection. Then when you consider that the stock headlamps were only rated at 21 candle power, you know they needed all the help they could get. While silver is pricey, it really does a good job and looks great.

Rick

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, California USA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 durant Model 60 Sport Roadster

Not likely to polish up, Mike. The silver was very thin over the brass coating under, that all you do is show the yellow brass flashing as you wipe off the silver. If I recall correctly one wasn't supposed to touch the reflectors at all in by gone days.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Thanks Rick & Norm do you know of a place that does this re-silvering? I might try some silver polish first and if it does not work I'll send it off.

Mike,

Any place that does them for Model A Fords can do yours.

Some of the Model A guys out here use:

Reflections Again
Robert Easthope
1260-H Yard Court
San Jose CA 95133
408-971-8389

Maybe one of the Model Clubs have a recommendation for a company closer to you. Unfortunately the guy who did mine isn't around any more.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, California USA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 durant Model 60 Sport Roadster

Haven't lit them up yet....but I had mine chrome plated.

Dave

Thanks Rick, I'll hit the AACA Model A forum to see if anyone has some recomendations closer to the East Coast, but if not I'll send them to this guy. Dave from running an internet search on Google I found several discussions on this and the general thought was that chrome was not as reflective as silver for some reason. Like Rick said with the low candlepower of these lights I want them as bright as I can get them. Thanks.

Yep Mike .. but I wasn't going to say anything about the chroming. Silver is the brightest and I believe the only thing used on reflectors and mirrors. The old brass carbide lights, at back of the pot, used on T's etc had very thick glass that was mirrored with silver, again for brightness. You worry about candle power on the Durant's, imgine what those cabide lights must have been like. No wonder the very early cars has somebody walking ahead of the car with a lantern.

Maybe changing your lights to seal beams or quartz halogine lights, might do the trick, ha ha. Then you could see the next state, at night.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Mike have found you someone much much closer to home, my younger brother who lives in St Petes used this service in Gulf Port. Premiere Plating & Polishing they do gold, silver, brass, nickle,& chrome plating They are @ 1737 49th ave.south, ph:727-345-4117 open 8am to 4:30pm mom-fri. ask for Steven

P.S. They also have a shop in Tampa by appointment only on Saturdays 2711 Wilder Ave. East ph: 813-236-6233 Hope this will end your search.

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? almost 1934 Frontenac C400

Mike:
There is a manufacturer in Oregon whose business is replating reflectors for operating rooms etc.
Uvira Inc
310 Pleasant Valley Road,
Merlin, Oregon, 97532
Phone 541 956 6880
Fax 541 476 9096

uvira@terragon.com

Bill Atwood has a process to put a sealed glass covered aluminum coating on your headlight reflectors. They will stay good for many years. The last I heard from him, he requires that you have your reflectors cleaned, polished and nickle plated. He will then add his process. I had mine done over 20 years ago and they are still fine. This is much the same process as the original sealed beams of the 40's.
The reason they do not do the polishing etc, is that this is a medical mfg. plant and they cannot take the detritus associated with cleaning.
His prices are reasonable also.
The first I ever saw done was Jeff Gillis on his 1930 Durant.
Check the reports on Google.
Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac built by Dominion Motors, Leaside

Thanks everyone for your response. I'll give the company a call in St. Petersburg, Florida. They are close.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club