Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Throwout Bearing Noise

To Guy, Under the floor board, I placed a small pad of carpet material in the spot where the clutch petal arm comes up against the floor board when it is not depressed. A small piece of leather or other material will also work. Something to slightly lessen the space between the fork and the throwout bearing collar when the clutch is not depressed. I also use grease in the collar, but I replace the grease fitting with the threaded plug after greasing just in case the grease fitting is heavier than the plug so as not to throw it out of balance. Fritz Kuenzel

Where Are You From? Wakeman,Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? 28 Durant M-2

Re: Throwout Bearing Noise

Thanks fritz....

I understand what you are saying... I have done the same by just putting 2 shorts pieces of garden hose on the end of the fork that presses on throughout bearing.

Having taken a throwout bearing and casing apart... I don't understand how the grease would make a difference over putting 600w oil in... there is still 1/4 slap between bearing and shaft.

Further comments appreciated.
Giy

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Nodel M touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club