Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Speedometer cable - Mine has just failed & I need one !!

I have been driving my old Star around this summer; fixing as needed and found. And some jobs being reserved for the winter (i.e. stearingbox, front wheels, throughoutbearing).

My latest dilemna :

My speedometer quit on my last trip; I removed the cabling and slid out the cable from its casing.

It is mangled at the transmission end; seems that some of the singular cable components had broken over time and now it had no strength and my last trip did it in.

And due the its conditions it stretched 8 inches upon removal from the casing.

The Questions :

Does anyone have a speedometer cable for me?

Does anyone have suggestion as to what I could use as new cable...(welding or soldering, etc the old ends back on)?

Guy

P.S. No Texarkana for me this year boys (4000 + miles and besides no passport).. but the plan is for the old Star to cross the Rockies, for Franz's 2011 meet, on its own.

Where Are You From? Peace River alberta

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Touring

Re: Speedometer cable - Mine has just failed & I need one !!

Hi Guy....

Is it just the inner flexible cable that is bad?

If so you should be able to get a "universal" (fits nothing correctly) inner cable kit at a GOOD auto parts store. That's what I used on my 26 touring.

Better watch those high speed runs!!!!

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 15 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy (one horse power)

To answer my own question :

You go to the jobber's get length of speedometer cable; cut the ends off the old cable, drill holes in them for new cable (cut to correct length) and solder things in.

doggone that was easy

Guy

Where Are You From? Peace River alberta

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Touring

My, ain't it grand when a story all comes together. Glad you got the speedo fixed. Don't want you breakin any speedin rules.
I know all about those hills coming up out of Peace River. Have been there twice in the last five years. Sure did make the RV grunt.

Keep on truckin!!

Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac built by Dominion Motors, Leaside

hi guy
i have a complete spedo cable and speedo head available . 30$ for the cable 1oo for the complete pair . let me know i could purolator it to u in a couple of weeks.
both are in excellent condition
brian boys
ps 29,000 on the head

Where Are You From? victoria bc

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 STAR 6 SEDAN

Hi Brian

do you still have the spedo & cable,I need one for a 29 durant ( round )mine is toast,I would take it off your hands.

thanks
bob-o

Where Are You From? Alberta, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

yes bob
i still have the pair,sorry for the slow reply, workin in a remote area.send me your address and i will send the pair .we better make sure it will fit mine is round it is from a 27 star coupe 6 cyl.
does anyone know
brian

Where Are You From? victoria bc

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 STAR 6 SEDAN

The Durant Motors Automobile Club