Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Early A22 and parts seeking

Hi, would anyone have a pair of National brand cowl light lens to part with, they match the National script headlight lens. I am also looking for a Durant Hayes wire wheel cap as well, am missing one from wire wheels. My car is the earliest of the A22 versions with unique head gasket (early) and vacuum fuel tank mounted to the exhaust manifold; the manifold is not of the later "header" type, but consists of two tubes running parallel to one another and clamp bracket attachment for vac tank; also the carburettor does not have the later "hot box", the Tillotson intake abuts to the exhaust pipe and the cowling firewall is of timber construction. This arrangement was explosive and changed very early in production. I believe th vehicle is late 1921 from what I have read, maybe the earliest survivor?; does anyone have any clearer definition of this quirk in design?

Where Are You From? Melboune, Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1921 (22?) Durant A22

Re: Early A22 and parts seeking

Have you checked with Larry or Carol?

Follow the link to "Larry's Durant Parts" or go to their lens web site at:

www.oldcarlenses.com

I also have an early A-22 with the vacuum tank mounted on the exhaust manifold.

Hope this helps.....Frank

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 15 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy (one horse power)

Thanks Frank,
I am an Australian, from Melbourne in state of Victoria. I did find Larry's Durant Parts this evening and have sent them (Larry and Carol?) an Email message regarding lens enquiries. What date or year is your car and how early were the first ones made? Do you know a year/month breakpoint for moving to the later header manifold arrangement, that would help me understand the build date of my car. I have had my Durant for 20 years and had watched it rot into a farm paddock for 20 years before that; it was last driven in 1946, rolled on its side and the front axle and wheels pulled out to use on a portable tree cutting saw. Only about an estimated 300 odd cars came to Australia and parts are very rare to find here. I wrecked about 7 cars (or part cars) to find enough good parts to enable mine to run; I do not have a rear body section, as most vehicles of age were "uted" in this country. I know mine just survived the famous 1939 Bush fires here in Victoria (half our state was alight with fire then) and was 'put out" after the rear half of its body caught fire; It was then 'uted" for use during WWII,
Cheers,
Bruce.

Where Are You From? Melbourne, Australia

Bruce There should be a casting date on the left side of the block. The head also has a casting date under the valve cover. The early a-22 open cars also did not have outside door handles. Do you have a serial number? Is the car a Canadian version (T)? Do you have the engine number? (side of block, but also on the head surface)

Bob

Do You own a car built by Durant? a-22

Hi Bruce,

You have an interesting story on the history of your early A-22 Touring, It seams that we are learning something new every day on these old cars...
My A-22 Durant parts book Effective February 1st, 1923 features both the early manifold that you speak of (#1294) and the later style manifold with intake heat riser (#3764) it does not list a S/N break between the two manifolds...Also the parts book features an upper and lower toe board for both right and left hand steering but shows no wood on the cowl higher than the steering column, it would be interesting to see a picture of your car if you could post one, you may have the only A-22 with a wooden firewall...I have been of the understanding that cowl lamps were introduced in 1923 and that there were two styles of headgaskets for the A-22 engine, the early style being an 8 headbolt and some time after 1923 there was an 9 bolt head with the extra headbolt being placed in the very middle, I have a 9 bolt head that has a casting date in 1926...Anyway, It is all velly interesting.

Bill

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 A-22 Touring- !929 Model 40 Coupe

Hi Bruce,

Glad to hear about another early Durant.
As the serial #'s were different for each of the 5 plants that produced the A-22, the parts books generally do not give serial # breaks.
As has been prevously mentioned the early open cars did not have cowl lights, outer door handles or much brightwork. The rad shell being painted black. That being said, cars that were exported often times had different specs. than cars sold at home.
My touring was built in Leaside ON. sreial # T2100
engine #16622. I believe that the casting date is located under the side cover on the right hand side of the motor. I unfortunatly did not write the date down before putting things together and it is not easy to get the panel off.
I hope the some of this information helps.
will

Where Are You From? Guelph, ON. Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1922 Durant A-22 Touring

Hi,

you are correct, I have similarly noticed that early A22 bodies from Australia do not have cowling lights. Some states here, Victoria (in 1929) and N.S.W. (in early 30's) made cowl lights for parking and width assessment aids was mandatory retro fitment to all vehicles from those years onwards. Hence early cars may have had Durant dealership cowl lights fitted at later dates. Later type bodies here had an all brass sidelight shell mounted on a slightly different cowl light pedestal.

The Victorian Melbourne based agency for Durant offered bodies built by Olympia Motor Body Company, they all seem to have had timber firewall bodies until the later body style (@ late 1924) was offered which seemed to contain a factory U.S.A. all-steel firewall. The later bodies have taller bodyside construction and wider front passenger compartment.

A Sydney based dealership produced a slightly different version of both early and later bosy styles for the A22, and did offetr external door handles for early models here, as traditionaly opposed to those bodies made in Victoria. The door handles are a common variety also found on Ozzie bodied FIAT's, Overland's and many other makes. Later bodies for A22 seemed to have the same external door handles as the American models and were probably imported along with the rolling chassis by the Agents.

All A22's that ended up in Australian State of Queensland were driven there from Sydney, all cars ending up in South Australia were driven there from Melbourne. One lone Durant A22 was known to have come from the Doctor at Kalgoorlie Goldfields; it had wire wheels. I do not know anything more of it, unless any other reader does? I believe there would only be a dozen of these A22 cars left in Australia (unless anyone else knows?). Three B22 cars were known to have come here only, I believe one of them may still be alive?

I have the body plates from several A22 bodies that the vague history of are known; given time, I will record them and write to you again,

Thanks,
Bruce.

Where Are You From? melbourne, Aust.

Do You own a car built by Durant? A22

Hi,
I believe all of the sports tourers had nickel plated radiator cowlings and that type was predominantly shipped to Australia. the radiator core was painted white originally on sports tourers.

I may/may not have the early engine here any more, but retained the better later engine version. I have two of them and they are stored away, hence numbers not easy to get at. I know one of them is a 1923 model as its original windscreen with 1940 registration label expiry is there with the 1923 model year. I do still have the early and late model manifolds, etc; That will all take some work, so thanks till that does get done, maybe at weekend!

Cheers,
Bruce.

Where Are You From? melbourne, Aust.

Thanks,
I have therefore kept a 1923 9 bolt headstud engine, as suspected. I know remember that that is the difference between the heads on the models. the earlier model engines had a really bad oil pump as well; problems with generator drive loosening and a slightly different sump oiling system that was not as good!
I will have a look at the head numbers, as I still have several heads; detail is a little wague at moment as I am not actively restoring the car or driving it. B in OZ.

Where Are You From? Melbourne, Aust.

Thanks Will,
I have just bought another complete A22 in very restorable condition; its engine number appears at LHS front of engine (opposite side to that quoted). This tourer is a 3 March 1924 vehicle - the engine has done 10,000 miles from new and runs. Thanking your reply in assistance,
Best wishes,
Bruce in OZ.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several A22 Durant cars

Thanks,
yes I believe all my radiator cores are white from original. all shells I have seen are nickeled, making them all Sports tourers. I believe @ 300 cars came to Australia, but am unsure exactly,
Thanking you reply,
Bruce in OZ.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several A22 Durant cars

The Durant Motors Automobile Club