Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
replacing horn wire

I have read all of the previous posts about removing horn buttons, but I want to ensure that I have directions specific to our 1929 Durant. My intent is to replace the rather frayed wire going up the steering column to the horn button. With an ohm- meter connected between the end of that wire, and ground, I have confirmed that pushing on the horn-button still makes good contact to ground, so I am confident that the button & its spring are functioning correctly. It is only the wire coming down from the button that I want to replace. Do I need to disconnect the throttle & spark levers at the bottom of the steering column, to pull out the complete steering wheel hub assembly, in order to get at the wire's connection to the button ?

Where Are You From? Ottawa, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D40

Re: replacing horn wire

Hello Dave... Back in the 2007 spring issue of the Durant Partner I wrote an article about how to remove the steering wheel on a Flint car. Most cars of this era are designed about the same and I would think the Durants wouldn't be much different. On the Flints, there is a set screw through the side of the "horn bell" that holds the horn buttom into the center assembly of the column. If your lucky enough to get the set screw removed... you should be able to remove the button complete with the wire. Not sure if the wire has a connector or is 1 piece all the way to the horn? Also note that the horn wiring was covered with a heavy casing somthing like a metal conduit!

Durant owners.... please to let Dave know if the '29s are different or not. Jim

Flint E55 horn button

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flint

The Durant Motors Automobile Club