Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trim pieces for the joints

I am looking for some sort of trim to fill the gap between the sheet metal on my car, The stuff that came with it is badly twisted and bent and there was not enough of it anyway. What do you guys use to dress up that gap?? And where can I get some ??
Any info will help.
Thanks
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant Model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: Trim pieces for the joints

Ken,

Would you be talking about fender welt? That is often used around fenders and running boards and the like, it comes with a 3/16 or 1/4 inch bead and is 1 1/2" wide...I get most of those kind of supplys from Lebarron Bonney (Model A and now early Chev. suppliers) They have all those sundries, frame webbing, gutters and molding, hood corners and lacing, about anything you can think of...They have a great illistrated catalogue that they put out about twice a year...1-800-221-5408 they are also online....Restoration Supply would be another source.

Bill

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 A-22 Touring, 1929 Durant model 40 Coupe

I am talking about the moulding that fills in where the sheet metal joins together. such as between the top and bottom sections --above the doors and down the body just behind the doors It is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide and has a curved surface . Original was nailed on and then the piece was folded over to cover the nails . I would think there must be some sort of mouilding available over the counter at some shop.
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant Model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Hi Ken....

If you haven't already checked out Restoration Supply, their on line catalog is at:

www.restorationstuff.com

pages 25, 26, 27 should have the moldings you are looking for.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy (one horse power)

I am thinking that the molding you are referencing to is called a half oval, Restoration Supply carries it in three different materials, McMasters carries some sizes however it is predrilled and countersunk for a slothead oval screw...You may be better off to get the solid aluminum, you can form it better and drill for a finish nail, then countersink with a small nailset, then touch up with a bodyfiller...The same goes for a Drip Rail, I see that Restoration Supply has a solid Aluminum Rail and could be installed in the same fashion, You should shy away from the two piece type snap-on gutter as they are near impossiable to install and still have them look presentable....Lebaron Bonney carries Wire-on Welting for closed car tops, it comes in a black vinyl, is nailed on and folded back to cover the nails, however I have found that just the Black Vinyl "Hidem" looks better and doesn't stick up as far, this would be to trim out your vinyl topping material.

Bill

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 A-22 Touring, 1929 Durant model 40 Coupe

The Durant Motors Automobile Club