Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best material for bottom water pipe

On a 23 Star, I believe originally, the lower radiator hose/water pipe consists of a formed metal pipe attached by two short hoses at each end to the water pump and the radiator outlet. The pipe needs to be bent around the motor mount and contoured slightly to run it under the generator and then up to the water pump. The best representation I can come up with at the moment is the photo of Louis Quenneville's 23 Star Depot hack, although it shows a complete hose. Don Shilling is in the process of sending me a photo of his original setup although you can get a good idea of the shape from the Depot Hack photo.

My question is this. What would be the best material to use for the pipe? I would like to use either a brass or cooper tube for both corossion resistance and for appearance. However when I look at 1 1/4 inch cooper tube, brass tube or brass pipe on the Mcmaster-Carr web site it lists all three choices as "unbendable".

Before I call and talk to a salesman I thought I would get some input from current Durant owners. Can I bend cooper or brass of that size to the shape I need? Anyone have experiance with cooper/brass tube/pipe of this size? The cost of brass and cooper is pretty much the same for basically 18" of the stuff.

Thanks,
Tony

Where Are You From? Fairhope, Alabama

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star Touring

Re: Best material for bottom water pipe

OK, here we go. I made this water pipe out of a couple of electrical 90's, cut, fit and welded.

Photobucket

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star, 1927 Star

Thanks for the photo Don, a picture is worth a bunch of words.

Where Are You From? Fairhope, Alabama

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C Touring

Hello Tony,
I used 0.065" steel tubing and bent it to my original sample.
Franz

The Durant Motors Automobile Club