Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need help with finding cheap tires in ontario, or alternatives to 19 wood spoke

I have started working on my D40, my problem is (so far) is finding cheap tires for the car. it currently has the 19 wood spoke rims. I need the car to be able to roll in and out of the garage. I have only one good tire the rest are shot.
I have looked and watched ebay, kijiji, craiglist etc but have found anything. I don't want to buy new due the cost and it might be a long time before this car is back on the road.
Is there another wheel that might fit, such as a model a? Chevy from the 20's? in a 16 rim
At this point it looks like I might be making some plywood rollers

thanks Brian

Where Are You From? near hamilton ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D40 sedan

Re: Need help with finding cheap tires in ontario, or alternatives to 19 wood spoke

Hi Brian.....

The 1930-31 Model A Ford used 19 inch tires. Should be a Model A guy around you who has some usable tires that you could use to roll your car around the shop.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy (one horse power)

Re: Need help with finding cheap tires in ontario, or alternatives to 19 wood spoke

Brian: I would suggest that you go to the "Barrie Flea Market" the first week in June. Quite often you can buy used tires there. Ones that will be good for rolling a car around until it is restored. Right now I don't know of a set of 19" tires available.
Hope you are coming to our Durant meet in Guelph July 1 - 5
Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

I was going to check out burls creek in barrie,
where are you meeting in guelph? Is there a info post for the meet. Thanks

Where Are You From? near hamilton ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D40 sedan

Brian,
The Chevrolet 1930/31 cars used three 19 inch wheels;(Disc/Wood spoke Split Rims and also Wire Wheels).

Tire size should be about the same as for Durant/Star. But the Chevy Split Rims won't fit a Durant wheel(I tried!)

The 1929's use 20" inchers (Only Year!!), and the 1932's used 18" inch,the 33/34's are 17" inch, later are 16" inch wheels. All late 20's Chevys through 1954 are 6 Lug wheels, except for the Wood Split Rims of course. 20's/30's Chevy Disc wheels with Split rims are 6 lug bolt on also.

Not sure if the 6 Lug pattern is the same for Durant (Maybe??). Likewise, similar year Pontiac, Olds (and Olds small "Viking", and small Buick "Marquette") all used similar wheels/tires.

At the next Antique show/Parade/Swap Meet nearby get with an Antique Chevy guy for extra used tires. Nice guys, they should help you.

Hope this helps you.
Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

I have a REO that I needed tires for the same reason, I found locally some old motorcylcle tires that would fit for free, I only needed to buy tubes for about nine bucks each at the local motorcycle shop, they wont be any good for driving on but they work great to move the car around the shop

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Flint B40

Darren,
Right you are! I went to the local MC shop and asked for "take-offs", they sent me out back and I got as manny 16" inch motorcycle big "Touring" type tires as I wanted for FREE. They fit Okay on my "narrow 4.5" X 16" inch 1940's Chevy rims. Small sidewall but Great for "Roll-arounds"... only drawback is car does sit 2 to 3 inches lower now.

I thought these might be too small for Brian's previous request(19" inch), so didn't mention it. Key was the FREE price and I think they were Tubeless too, Super deal!!! Lots of cruiser bikes and Harleys use these "big" tires on the rear.

Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

I thought about the MC tires, since HD mostly have 19 fronts, the bike the shop in my area are crooks so they might what to charge me for their garbage, I am going to check them out tomorrow
Also a model a guy suggested getting aset of dollies and just use the rim only,

There was a post or link for wood rim restoration but I can't seem to find it, if you could direct me I would appreciate it
Brian

Where Are You From? near hamilton, ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D40

Think you lads US wise have better luck with tires than here. Simcoe Tires seems to be the only tire place in Ont for our cars, they are the Coker agent here. Les Pinus Bertrand in Granby is the Que Coker agent. I understand Bertrand tires are a bit cheaper. I haven't had much success with Simcoe and they are expensive as another DMAC member mentioned in Forum before.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Old car tires used to be made at an obsolete Firestone plant in New Zealand. You should be able to get Commonwealth partner discounts. I think they may have moved to India, but same thing goes.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

I was able to get some mc tires from my local shop, I think I was lucky because I got a young guy behind the counter who was eager to help someone. He must be new there, so I have rollers now but I need tubes.

I also live fairly close to Buffalo NY so once I am ready I'll jump the ditch for a new set of WWW.

Thanks for the input and advice
Brian

Where Are You From? near hamilton, ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D40

Brian: Glad to see you took my advise and found the culb site. As for tubes C.T.C. (crappy tire)sells them and they are cheap. Did you find out from Gord Curl about the Canadian Meet comimg up soon? Hope to see you there.

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? Almost - 1933 Frontenac C400

The Durant Motors Automobile Club