Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Durant In Racing

In addition to my totally stock restored Durant I also have a Ford "A" speedster. I am always looking for Durant's activity in racing. This past week end at a swap meet I found 9 magazines titled "FOUR- BANGER" from 1975-80. They cover dirt track, sprints and midgets history and make very interesting reading. The March 1975 issue featured a man from Canada named Jack Smith who built racers from 1920s to late 1940s.
Quote: "In 1939 before enlisting in the Army he completed one more car, a midget. He used a four banger Durant engine and substituted a set of Dodge timing gears for the Durant chain. This resulted in the cam turning backwards and gave him three large intake ports on which to install his favorited 1917 Hudson side-draft carbs."
Does this suggest that he installed carbs on the exhaust ports and therefore exhausted out of the intake ports? Any idea as to what Durant engine this would work on? What else has to be done to the valve train?

Where Are You From? Texas

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant Touring

Re: Durant In Racing

Here's some Durants in racing. In 1923 on May 30th. at the Indianopolis 500, Durant Specials came in 2nd., 3rd,. and 4th.

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? Almost - 1933 Frontenac C400

Re: Durant In Racing

At a show here, a fellow told me about his dad campaigning a Durant around West coast tracks in the late 20's and early 30's. He also did the three wheel stunt for a local dealer.

The son has his scrapbooks and said he'd share them with us.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

The Durant Motors Automobile Club