Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Interior

Help! I have a 25 Star 2-dr Sedan Model F and I would like to state working on my interior. I have no idea what the upholstery looks like as there is nothing left but the springs. What I need is some good pictures of the seats, door and rear panels and the headliner. I need to know what material and colors were used and where the fabric may be bought; any help and clues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Where Are You From? Farr West Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star Model F 2-dr Sedan

Re: Interior

How about some help? I sure could use some photos, Phillip Butterfield also has a post looking for some pics, someone must have a camara.

Judging by the pictures, not very many closed body Stars were saved by club members, though there are a couple. You may have to try contact them individually. Or you could check some car shows, or junk yards. For example, a 49 Ford would be pretty traditional. (vinyls and plastics not invented yet) The general concept didn't change much over time or across models. You need burlap to cover the springs, then layers of cotton batting, then burlap again, or horse hair, and a cover of woolen mohair. The seats could be checked or some other small pattern, perhaps in grey or taupe. The side panels would have some kind of thin hardboard that the upholstery is fastened to. The material would be plain or patterned mohair. Near the bottoms you might have an "artificial leather" like a paper composition, oil cloth, or tight woven burlap. This acts as a "kick panel", that your dirty boots might rub against. The headliner is also made of plain wool. A steamer will cause it to shrink and tighten up and look right. The professional upholsterers might keep old upholstery for patterns, or they may customize it.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Closed cars were considered dangerous with all that glass, so few bought or survive. That's why we have more open cars teens and early 20's. Thankfully opinions changed and it went the other way.

Don't know if we had kick panels on earlier cars but sure more mud and less paved roads.
Have no idea of earlier closed cars interiors presently, but would 28 / 29 be same for the Star ? We discussed earlier about mouldings and headliners in Forum. Stiff upholstery covered cardboard to headliner and no moulding at seam.

Photobucket

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Eliot
Browse the picture section of this web site to get some ideas. Most period cars were mohair or cheaper Corduroy and I believe that they Star would probably have the Corduroy material since Durant wanted to keep the price down on these. Headliners would be in a matching brushed cotton. Floors would probably be in a rubber mat or natural wood. The higher priced Durants would have the Mohair and carpeting etc. Here is a 1926 Star that was on the market some years ago. It supposedly had original interior that was brown Corduroy.

Photobucket

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Mike .. would it make sense for rubber front floor and carpet rear ? Or carpet both ? Dorothy had nothing on front floor but would have orig, very brittle rubber mat's both sides of front seat but carpet in the rear. Don't think the carpet could be cleaned and saved but it is orig.

Norm

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club