Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hood Lace and rivets

Hey again y'all,

When replacing the hood lace around the fire wall and the radiator shell what was the original way to secure the lacing? They used split rivets on the 23 Star that I have, however I continue to find things that are not as they should be if I am to keep things as original as possible. There may be a better way, but what was the original way?

If split rivets are indeed what I need to use, forgive my ignorance and let me ask they best way to split and secure those rivets. It would seem to be a two man job to secure those rivets aroung the firewall.

Thanks,
Tony

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star Touring

Re: Hood Lace and rivets

Good question. 1930 and later have split rivits on the shell and screws on the firewall, not sure what pre 30 have firewall but its rivets on rad shell.

Guess there's a tool to split rivets but I sure messed up a handful doing my rad shell. Split rivets seem to snap very easily. I used a thin screw driver to slightly split the rivet and needle nosed pliers to curl the rivet sides, then vice grips to gently press the curl to the shell. Of course I used rags on the jaws not to mar the shell.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club