Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear Axle - Shims

When I dismantled my split rear end, I found a shim on the right axle end upon which the brake drum fits.

Why did they put shims there ?

What was their purpose ?

What is the correct installation proceedure ?

Tx in advance

Guy

Where Are You From? Peace River AB CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Model 40 Touring

Re: Rear Axle - Shims

Hi Guy....

Are you referring to a shim that wraps around the tapered part of the axle? The hub then slides over the shim.

These were used to make up for ware on the axle taper. A common item used on Fords.

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

Re: Rear Axle - Shims

Thanks Frank.

As you may noticed through my postings, I have overhauled my split rear end and I am getting to the end of the job.

Yes, those are the shims. I bought 2 new shims and still have the old one.

What is defined as the correct taper ?

I worry about axles because 2 extra axles
came under the back seat of car; one had teeth twisted at diff end and the other is bent...

Or when installing hub; how do I assure shim is needed and once installed doing its job ?

Frank , please tell me what you know about rear end fluid getting to outside bearings. I have replaced my inner bearings with timkin 3120's but... they seem to be sealed (whereas the balls of the old ones were visible). Now I can undersand oil getting thru balls of inner bearing and getting to outsides, but will the "sealed " factor of new seal impede oil flow to outside bearings ?

By the way Frank you forgot to send me a water pump to generator rubberized connector.

Where Are You From? Peace River AB CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Model 40 Touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club