Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another motor mount question

I posted an earlier thread showing some home made motor mount pads. In that thread I learned that originally my 23 Star C Tourning with a W-4 engine had no such pads and was mounted directly to the frame.

As I recently reinstalled the motor after a rebuild and paint job etc... I got to looking at the front motor mounts. There are 2 3/8 inch by 5 1/2 long bolts that go all the way thru the channel of the frame cross members. There is really no way of putting to much torque on these bolts as it bends up the bottom of the frame channel. So, I was considering putting a 1 1/2" spacer in between the top and bottom channel in order to torque the bolts tighter.

My question is this .... should I put a spacer in there and torque the bolts good and tight or is it better to allow for some flexing of the cross beams in order to better avoid cracking the frame?

Hope that makes sense....?

Thanks again for all the help.

Tony

Where Are You From? Fairhope, Alabama

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C Touring

Re: Another motor mount question

Tony,
The correct front engine attach bolts are 3/8-24 X 3 1/2" with lock washer and hex nut. They attach to the top rail flange and do not go thru both rail flanges.
However, if you insist on using the longer bolts, by all means use a spacer between the flanges.
No flexing should be allowed on these engine/transmission designs as premature wear on the clutch and coupling will occur. Flexing also leads to cracks. Assemble everything as tight as practical.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C Touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

Re: Another motor mount question

Thanks for the info Don.

I'll go with the shorter bolts thru the top rail flange only as was originally.

Tony

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star Touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club