Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear Axle seals - outer and inner ?????

I must ask about rear axles seals.

I have found very good outside seals that fit perfectly without any trimming TC Oil Seal 45 X 58 X 7 .. yes that is metric.

But, Don Shilling has told me that there are no inside seals.

But I must play doubting Thomas.

When I look into diff casing from outside.. there is a round piece of tin, about 1 1/2 inches into axle chamber, with a hole in the center (thru which the axle goes) but this hole is about 1/2 bigger than axle diameter.

My Questions :
What lubricate the outside bearing... oil from differential or grease from grease zerk at top end of diff casing just to the inside of where outside bearing will be ???
Next, if no inside seal... all grease put in zerk will not get into bearing as least resistence would just push the grease down the axle tubing.. to the differential gears ????

All wisdom is appreciated
Guy

Where Are You From? Peace River Alberta

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Touring M

Re: Rear Axle seals - outer and inner ?????

The diagram provided on the Tech. page under "Rear Axle Rebuild" shows the lubricator is for lubricating the adjustment lock. I believe the bearings are lubricated by the differential fluid. (so no inner seal, just perhaps a baffle to limit the amount)
I also used a metric seal (I can't put my hands on the number at the moment) but I had to turn the rubberized coating off the OD to make it fit.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? no

Thanks Steve....

But another question :

the inner bearing of the differential were replaced, but they seemed to be sealed (ie. I could not see ball bearings);
so I am wondering if this will cause a problem getting rear end fluid to the outside bearings ?

Should I be able to see bearing balls and then can assume oil will get through those bearings to the outside

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Tx
guy

Where Are You From? Peace River AB CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Model 40 Touring

Sorry Guy,I haven't taken the differential apart on this car I'm working on so I can't comment on the inner bearings.
Anyone else out there care to help on this??

Where Are You From? Ottawa Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? no

OK, let me weigh in on this for my .02 cents worth.
The "ring baffle", just inboard from the axle bearing is to help stop excessive oil from sloshing towards the wheels during fast cornering or driving in a ditch. With only the factory felt seals, the rear axle oil would, and did, quickly spoil the brakes.
The outside Alemite fitting, near the brake backing plate, is to grease the Timken bearing (every 1000 miles). The term "grease" occasional referred to 600W oil in those times. I could understand a shot of 600W in that time frame rather than some regular wheel bearing grease. Also, if you have installed modern seals, you shouldn't have to worry about contaminating the brakes with oil.

On the Differential carrier bearings, I would pop the seals out and expose the ball bearings. That 600W oil is a little sluggish and would have a hard time getting to those bearings.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C Touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

Thank you very much Don.

I agree all you say, having kinda of figured it out, but your 2 cent confirmation is greatly appreciated.

I took to heart your point, of 2 weeks ago, on the telephone; that reinserted the gear / pinion et all is not trivial.

I have studied and figured it out.

I would like to ask about the shims on my pinion caseing.. One about 1 thou and the other 5 thou.

It seemed, when I blue chalked the gears and checked for pressure points, that my pinion gear was not gioing deep enough in main gear. Leaving shims out seem to place markings as per directives in Tech Section.
Do you concur

Thanks for all your advice

Guy

Where Are You From? Peace River AB Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Touring M

Here's the quote from the Rear Axle Rebuild in the Tech section:

Tapered roller bearings are used in the pinion housing assembly. These bearings are to be adjusted with from .002" to .005" endplay. This amount of endplay is not perceptible to the eye, so this adjustment all depends on feel and good judgment.

%%bbCodeItem_1%%
(Concerning quantity of shims to use)
When pinion adjustment is necessary it is made by adding or eliminating shims between the rear axle and pinion housing until the distance from the end of the pinion to the shims on the face of the pinion housing measures 1.252'.
This measurement should be determined with a depth gauge. This distance is very important and must be correct. The face of pinion housing, axle housing and shims must be clean and free from burrs so as to insure a perfect fit.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C Touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

Thanks again Don.

I am totally in your debt on this (plus earlier) issues.

If you ever need some dirty Alberta heavy oil, I will send you a bucket.

Tx Again

Where Are You From? Peace River AB Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Touring M

The Durant Motors Automobile Club