Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
temp guage

i have a bad temp guage, it did work until the connection between the gen and the water pump shreded, the engine overheated ( no harm to engine)but the temp guage pegged hi and the needle stayed.does anybody know of someone who repairs these or by chance i can get another one. THANKS, rick

Where Are You From? mich

Do You own a car built by Durant? 612 sedan

Re: temp guage

If you find a one piece gauge I'm sure interested. 30 was electric and later are mercury tube.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

thanks for the reply norm.my car is a 1931.so what you are saying is, from the engine block,the fitting is in the head, a single solid wire comes out of the fitting,then just before it goes into the firewall to the guage it has another solid single strand of wire wrapped around ( insulation ) it. the temp is transfered to the guage which has mercury in it? WOW ! i never would have guessed that type of tech used in the 30's for a car. i figured the guage had a heat sensitive spring that expanded and contracted like some of todays thermometers.its a little more sofisticated situation than i thought.im gonna probably need help on this one and alot of investigation but i will keep you in mind if and when something comes up. THANKS again, rick

Where Are You From? mich

Do You own a car built by Durant? 612 sedan

Re: temp gauge

Rick Thought all the 22A motors had an electric temp gauge. The sender in the block is NLA, but sometimes you can find a brass type at auto part stores. New wiring harnesses made by YnZ parts are wired for the electric sender.I've had gauges rebuilt for my British cars by Moma out of Arizona. There are several places that advertise in Hemmings. It has been my experience that you may find a gauge at a swap meet that looks right, but they are usually not the exact application. Why not take the gauge out and see if you can see what might be wrong? The outer housing with the glass should pry away from the gauge itself (probably tight from years of corrosion). Blow out with air and see what happens to the needle. But if you have a mercury type gauge, that is usually always better to send out. Roscoe

Where Are You From? orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 standard coupe

I guess notify when relies part of this new format doesn't work.

You will have to look at the back of your gauge or engine block to see if yours is electric or mercury. If you have the crest type dash surround it will be electric.
Mike Jordon recently had gauges on ebay for a 31 - 32 dash but the heat one was electric and not Durant. Car was a 30 but someone must have changed the dash to make it seem more modern but because of the head sensor being electric used an electric gauge off ?? I had wondered if it might be 31 / 32 Chevy by the look of it or just a jobber with black face.

No 22A's can be either. Durants and Frontenac's 31 - 33 used one piece. Someone cut my tube right behind the gauge and I have some mickey mouse gauge hanging off the bottom of the dash. Its mercury also but too big to fit the cluster.
Norm

I'm going to try a reply using the new format!!

I don't think a mechanical temperature gauge uses mercury. Most of them use ether which expands in the bulb, increases the pressure in the tube which causes movement of a bourdon tube in the gauge unit which in turn moves the needle showing the temperature.

If the line gets punctured/leaks, you've got a problem. Most lines are wire-wrapped to protect the tube and prevent kinking.

RonJ ...

Where Are You From? Ottawa area

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 4-07

Thank you Ron ... helps to have an auto mechanic teacher aboard with some of our questions. Not having anything to go on it was my assumption it was a mercury tube, like thermometer's, and the rising pressure did as you say. Same type of thing as the Boyce Meters used long before we had dash gauges. Dot's jobber has no protective wire wrap and enough tube I could hold the gauge in my hand, since its coiled up behind the dash.

I had wondered if the jobber and org gauge could be spliced as one. Bet thats why my gauges' tube was cut at the gauge, puncture of the line at some point.

The Dykes manual doesn't say what was used only a bulb with fluid, under Water Temp part of my revised Dykes. Also talks about the electric ones, which they call Extension or Distance type of temp indicators.

Under Oil Circulation or Pressure Gauges etc, it talks about an internal view of an oil gauge and the Bourdon tube used on many other kinds of gauges.

Ah a bit more, head of the instrument operates same principle as a pressure oil gauge. The head, copper tube, and bulb is filled with treated alcohol under pressure. When the bulb is subject to changing temp, the alcohol expands or contracts, thus moving a minute column of alcohol forward or backward in the entire length of the tube, causing the head to operate like a pressure gauge.

So it would seem to be the same as a Boyce Meter or thermometer. I seem to recall a small amount of fluid seeping out of cut tube if you went to pull a motor out of a car and just cutting the tube at the head.

Oh Ross .. meant to mention our gauges don't have individual glass covers like the 1930. Entire cluster face plate in gold Durant or silver Frontenac is glass covered.

I do know that the instrument rebuiders like nisongers can fix and 'recharge' the lines that are filled with ether. Obviously a specialized process. Roscoe

Where Are You From? orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 standard coupe

The Durant Motors Automobile Club