Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
connection for water pump and generator

does any body have any ideas for what to use for the rubber hose connection for the generator and the water pump. thanks , rick

Where Are You From? mich

Do You own a car built by Durant? 612 sedan

Re: connection for water pump and generator

i remember using heater hose because it has thread reinforcement.....in my first 6-14 back in the 1968 era

Where Are You From? penna., usa

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 6-14 sedan ; 1929 D-70 coupe

Rick
I have a hose connection for a 30 614 if it is the same length. It is in good shape and is yours cheap if it will do . I will be away for the next 4 or 5 says but let me know . Will get back to you when I return.
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant model 614 deluxe rumble seat coupe

The late Ray Zenz had some of these made up from rubber hose, so Frank Witowski may have them now. Now was that flexible connection there to shear off if your water pump was frozen(a little too late then!), or to compensate for minor misalignments between the h2O pump and the generator? Roscoe

Where Are You From? orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 standard coupe

I think that it was mostly to make up for any mis-alignment of the two. However it would shear if the pump was seized for any reason.
Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Hi All.......

I have new old stock couplings for the 4 cylinder cars.

I make the 6 cylinder ones out of 5/8 inch reinforced straight radiator hose. Much better than heater hose.

Should be available at your local NAPA store. If they don't stock it you may have to buy a 3 foot length.

The idea was for these couplings to make up for SLIGHT miss alignment. You may need to adjust the number of gaskets under the water pump also.

Frank

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy (one horse power)

I used reinforced heater hose - the kind with a woven thread mesh. No problems ..... yet.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

I used hydraulic hose to couple my generator and waterpump. The hose is about five ply with steel mesh in it. It's made to withstand 5,000 psi!!

If the pump was to seize, I'm willing to bet the through bolts in the coupling would just tear through the hose, steel mesh or not. The mesh is to prevent expansion of the hose, wouldn't be too "tear resistant".

RonJ ...

Where Are You From? Ottawa area

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 4-07

The Durant Motors Automobile Club