Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Issues with the Forum

Our forum provider in an effort to give us a better forum has introduced some problems. Form those of you who have experienced problems either accessing or trying to post to it you are not alone.

I have contacted the provider and asked for their help.

In the meantime, I have found that your version and type of internet browser can make a difference. I had many problems with Internet Explorer 6.0. I had much better results and was able to access everything on the forum when I used Internet Explorer 7.0 and Mozilla Firefox 3.0.8.

Webmaster

Re: Issues with the Forum

Rick

I use Safari, and I have not had problems, but I have noticed a new format for the Forum. Not sure if I like the new presentation of the Forum. But I will get use to it

charlie

It seems to take a bit longer to load and is wider than before. I have to use the bottom scroll bar to read all the text.
On the reply form, the "Your Webpage" and "Where Are You From" fields are transposed.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C Touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

I really have to say that I dont like the new format. It doesnt show how many viewed the posting- Or how many replied to it . I feel the other was much better. That -of course- is only my opinion .
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant model 614 deluxe rumble seat coupe

I AGREE THAT THE NEW FORMAT STINKS...TOO SMALL LETTERS AND TOO WIDE ON SCREEN..I HAVE TO DISABLE MY FIREWALL TO GET THE FORUM UP EVEN THO ALL THE REST OF THE WEBSITE COMES IN....REGARDS, GARY K ,...AND WHEN I POSTED THIS, WORDS SPREAD OUT INTO 2 SEPERATE PARTS AND MADE ME LOOK ACADEMICALLY DEPRIVED....(HEY NORMIE, BIG WORDS, HUH????)

Where Are You From? 0

Do You own a car built by Durant? 2

I agree....If it ain't broke, Don't fix it.

All,
I agree this is a terrible Application!! Please return back to the Previous (Forumn) Rick. I work in a Software/System Test Environment and have not seen worse; sorry Charlie, this is unuseable!

I have tried to Post 3 times now all to no avail, just go into a loop,Post Message is broken, and Preview Message also does not work. Word Search on the Forumn also kicks you back to the basic Forumn and won't let you access Page 2 or Next. This also does not work!
Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

All,
A Tutorial on this application is desperately needed!
I re-entered my e-mail address and that did not work, Same Loop.

Finally I "disabled Smiles" and my Reply went through. This Application is totally NOT user friendly. It also needs some Interactive Helps, and Error finding to help even the experienced software User.
Lance

Where Are You From? Niceville Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

While I have not experienced the problems that others are posting, I am not enamored with this format. Sometimes old is good, and this may be one of those situations. After all, our cars are old.

charlie

There are two issues I'm hearing about concerning the forum. One I do not see on either of my computers, the other and more important I do see.

First, the general appearance is the same as before, there is a clock now but the other features are still there. This looks the same on both of may computers only the colors appear different on IE 6 and IE 7.

Second, the important thing that concerns me now and for the last 24 hours has and is speed, the forum on some systems is very slow. I sent a long list of issues to the forum provider this morning, so far a couple as been resolved, but speed has not.

Third, the changes to the forum came as a surprise to me, I did not make any changes to the site and I do not have the power to return anything to the way it was.

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Roadster

Rick.
We can afford to change providers. Lets just get some one that is user friendly. You said you back all this info up.
Lance H.

Where Are You From? www.lancedurant.com & www.hireoldcars.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many

I don't know it this is even going to post. Took forever to come up and what a mess this format is in. Leave the existing format the way it was so everyone can use it. Not all folks have fancy PC's nor access to flash, pps, etc.
Even the other parts of this worked last night but now it spins its wheels trying to bring up photo's or links etc.

Can see folks getting ticked off and not using this site, which would be a great shame with the name we now have out there everywhere about our site.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

We're not going to jump ship after ten years of service with them. The provider rolled this out to everyone of their customers and it appears to have slowed down the response time to my requests considerably. But having worked in this industry for many years I know this will smooth out and the bugs will get resolved.

Well, I just clicked on reply and my info popped up with name email etc. already filled in. that part is nice. Don't know about the other issues. Hope it gets worked out though. I did like the old format, but maybe in time we will get used to this one.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant sedan 614

Good, the screen size got resolved. And,,,, I really like the grace period to edit or delete my post. Is it going to be one hour or 10 minutes?

The page loading time is a bit draggy but I seldom get in a hurry unless I hear the dinner bell.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C Touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

Can we get the font to display in bold? Too much white and too little black for old eyes.

My 40 years of experience in this industry is that the programmers are all so young they don't know how things appear to people over 40. I have a particular problem with my staff and the "shrink to fit" option!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

More teething problems I suppose. How does one return to Forum other than using the Back button on OE and why doesn't Notify of replies, send anything to my in mail in OE so I know someone has replied ?
Yes my E is correct and yes I have checked the boxes.

Ah found part ... the index thing brings you back. Why not label it as such ? Return to forum.
Old format had reply which referred to the entire posting of a subject so we got replies to our in mail. This new format seems to only work on each individual message in each posting, so I assume that's why no in mails ???? Only relies to 'your' post or 'your reply' might get in mail to OE. That's dumb. Its treating every mail as an individual posting.
Site must be designed by a Ford owner.

Norm, you got it. The index takes you back to the main forum and the Notify me by email when somebody replies to this message check box is used to reply to your post. This seems to be the norm these days, I don't know if that is bad or good just the current trend.

In the past they have tried different things and most were improvements while a few were not. Most of the time no one noticed. That said one new feature I think is really nice is the one Don pointed out, the "edit" your post feature. That is something I've asked for for awhile now. You have 59 minters to go back and edit your own message should you desire.

Another new feature I like is the "View Unanswered Posts" button. It will help weed out those messages waiting for a reply.

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Deluxe Sport Roadster

What have I got, that the site was updated by a Ford owner ? Oh the shame of it all. No wonder they are called Fix Or Repair Daily ... or Found On Road Dead.

I haven't received one mail in my OE from Bravenet since this new update. Yes you will notice I changed my orig message when I found out the that Index was tab back. Before as you said it required an additional posting. Also about each mail now its own identity. Not sure thats a good thing as it requires looking in all postings to see if someone added new info or more questions.

Re our mails Rick, my son says I have the latest Flash and there's not much difference IE6 to 7. Here's part of his mail.

The interface for 7 has changed. IE7 has what is known as tabbed browsing. This means instead of having to open 3 or 4 windows to view 3 or 4 sites at the same time, you open them in "tabs" within one window; just like you used to be able to do in Opera.
Past that, it's pretty much the same.

I used to have Opera yrs back and wiped out my saved installation disk's, yesterday for its various new Opera's.

Love the raging fire at beginning post on this subject. Nice touch.

I just took a web adult ed course, and they reviewed how the web standards are going to be strict in the future. These changes will only be noticed by those who are using internet explorer older version browsers.
There is a free browser available online called FIREFOX.
I use this on my Macintosh, and have found it to be very good. Our current forum, looks the same to me.
Sorry to say that all providers will have to make these changes. so switching will do nothing.
As with all computers and the internet..., there will always be new upgrades going on, which will be out of our control. Bear with it, this is a great place to meet!

Where Are You From? Southern Vermont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many

Carol,

FIREFOX is an excellent suggestion . It's free, easy to use and many people believe it safer.

Rick

Carol & Rick
I've been using Firefox for several years now as well as their companion email program Mozilla Thunderbird. My computer guy who works on my business computer recommended them to me as according to the computer techies they work better than the Microsoft products and take up less space. I've had no problem seeing the forum or posting to it with this program.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Mike and Carol ...have you been getting mails in your incoming from Bravenet saying someone has replied to your posting ? I had wondered if IE was blocking those or if the site programmer hadn't worked that into the new version update. With each message now considered an individual posting within a subject it might not now work.
I just tried copy / paste of a message to an OE mail and it sat there spinning its wheels before it pasted. However doing it in reverse it posts immediately. I cheat sometimes and write out my message in OE, check for spelling, then post here.
Other than Roster being a threat and access denied by my pc to receieve anything from that area, plus forum messed up, all the rest works the same as it has.

I wanted to pass your info past a couple of tech people I know who are in there own worlds when it comes to computors. I have to ask them to talk in Queens English to even make a stab at what they are saying, when talking to me. They understand each other and are probably playing in next years release from MSN.

Norm

ah that didn't work. I came back to edit the mail as it said I had 59 min and it doesn't let me. Guess it only allows that if you remain in forum an hour.

I was only going to alter the last part to MSN, Adobe, and other like providers. Co's usually share new versions with one another before the public gets to buy them. Makes sense the support staff at Co's be able to handle public questions before we have the product.

Norm,

The email feature is working for me. However it is my my experience at work that emails can and are blocked by internet service providers, in addition your email program can divert some mail to your spam folder.

Where Are You From? Fremont, California

Hi Rick ...just got in from working with my bro raking and cleaning up customers yards. Oh my aching back, going to be a long haul to get back up to speed and shape.

Well I have just learned a whole lot about this problem from my friend. Hope he doesn't mind me sharing it.

I had a look at the durant website. Seems their server software is provided and Rick is at the mercy of the hosting provider. He seems committed to working out the problems. The new forum has a learning curve. Everyone on the forum will need to
learn exactly the same way you are

First item I noticed, was the familiar spinning icon when something is loading. This is an Ajax
loader icon. Meaning that some content is loading
dynamically. This is not a new technology, but on dialup connections can take quite a while. The purpose to use Ajax in the first place is to load information that would take too long and frustrate visitors sitting looking at a blank screen for a minute or two while the page loads.
Ajax now allows website designers to load the common
layout or template and let the visitor explore parts of the page while the main content loads. At least it gives the visitor something to look at.

Second, recommendations from different people to use
Firefox. Yes, it is a good browser because it is NOT
Microsoft, but it will not fix your problem. IE6 or IE7 works just fine, there are some minor display and color differences, but the forum functions the same. On your dialup connection, the browser is not the source of the problem. The time to load pages and perform an action is dependent on your Internet connection speed. The new forum is running new software which is targeted for users with a
broadband connection (ADSL, Cable). Otherwise, you would not be having these problems.

Third, not receiving email from the forum. This could be a forum configuration setting, but I would make sure you thoroughly check your spam/virus filtering software. Some others on the forum have commented, they are getting their email ok. This
could be a local problem on your rebuilt PC.

I have IE6 latest version and up todate Flash. I can't say if NCF has blocked mails from Forum but I doubt it. I have to go into the server to say what level of mails are to be blocked and I have left that as all mails. Neither NCF mail server nor my OE incoming mails has a Spam folder. Its all mails unless I block the sender in OE and at that it still comes to the pc but it put in Deleted items folder. I can go into NCF and block senders there and I will never see the mails in OE. I don't use NCF mail server itself. All mails there are downloaded to the pc as are Hotmail mails. Don't have to remember passwords etc that way to either site and signing in etc. I just wondered if others we getting Notify me replies. It might well be something in the pc is checked or unchecked as I have teething problems with the new Dell. I seem to get mails from other sites and usual spam about paypal, ebay, and badly worked selling parts like Lance and Gary mentioned ,just not forum.

I am presently using IE8 and have had no issues with this new format. I try to keep all aspects updated.

I do get notifications that a reply has been posted to my postings.

My two cents!

RonJ ...

Where Are You From? Ottawa area

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant

Guess I have a Durant then. I should have received a notification, you added to the forum. I checked NCF mail server before down loading the mails and there was nothing from Bravenet. Had it been my IE6 settings causing the problem the notification mail would be sitting there.

Interesting to note in NCF problem area this was there.

This is just an announcement to remind Windows XP users that the following Windows XP editions have no more mainstream support after today, 14 April 2009:

* Windows XP Home Edition http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3221
* Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002/2004/2005 http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3222
* Windows XP Professional http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223
* Windows XP Professional x64 Edition http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=8599
* Windows XP Tablet PC Edition http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3228
* Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=7801

Mainstream support ending means that the following services are no longer available or are only available for a fee:
* Non-security hotfix support
* No-charge incident support
* Warranty claims
* Design changes and feature requests

The following services are still provided under "extended support" for those editions listed above, until 8 April 2014:

* Paid support (per-incident, per hour, and others)
* Security update support
* Product-specific information that is available by using the online Microsoft Knowledge Base
* Product-specific information that is available by using the Support site at Microsoft Help and Support to find answers to technical questions

Rick .. going to sound dumb , but how does our email addy get put on Forum mails or changed ? I sent myself a mail from Forum and it worked so know its correct addy. NCF suggested I change the addy to a another to see if the problem still happens, such my Hotmail addy. I'm told there's nothing wrong with my browser, it could have something to do with the new Bravenet settings for mail.

I recalled last night this happened long ago between AOL users and NCF users, and NCF had to go after AOL to adjust their settings to inc NCF's. I guess there's a listing of settings for all sites as this came up before the odd time that NCF had to advise the other site's to make adjustments. I do recall one site said it had forgotten to add NCF settings.

This is sure way over my head. Have enough problems just figuring out Dorothy.

I think I have found the problem. When I reply to a post the upper section shows Name, email, where from, your web page, car etc. Up to now the email part didn't show at all on any reply mails. As a thought I decided to post a new subject and this time the email area showed. It had Ottawa Ont as an email and also the where I was from part, so I changed Ottawa to my NCF addy, then posted a nothing subject. Now we have the added bonus of editing or deleting postings, so I deleted the nothing posting. This must have jogged something as now replying I see my email addy in the upper part. Very odd as the email at bottom of postings was correct. Something behind the scenes got messed up switching us over. Fingers crossed I now rec mails once again.

Suppose I'll have to wait 60 min to see if this was the problem since we have 59 min to edit or delete.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club