Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oak Spoke Wheels

Colleagues: Is there any information indicating the original varnish application to the spokes when new -- such as: dark, light, high gloss or satin? Is there any specifically recommended varnish for this process, including number of coats?
Present wheel spokes are in very good condition now -- just wanting to maintain in superb condition. Thanks for your wisdom!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Star Coach

Re: Oak Spoke Wheels

I would use a marine varnish.Reason being it's weather proof and has UV bockers in it.I would do at least 3 coats but I would do more and I like the look of gloss.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star

I like the looks of the wooden spokes done in natural wood. Mine are painted black. They look OK too. Not to (possibly) beat a dead horse, does a STAR from the factory come with painted spokes? Did some come with a natural finish? Was it at extra charge? Was there one standard way they were delivered new? Did one factory turn them out one way and another turn them out another way? Was it a standard vs Deluxe model thing? Pinstriping?I know that this topic might have been touched on thru the years. I have lots of dumb questions like this,sorry.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star touring

Hi All...

In the parts book,for M, M2, M4, 40, R, 55 and 60, under wood wheels it states:

"When ordering specify color and striping"

I know I saw a listing of colors some where, just can't lay my hands on it right now.....

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

Frank is right. Durant and Stars all came with the wooden spokes painted usually the body color. My 1928 has some of the original paint on it. Fellow is silver, spokes and center hub are painted dark green. I agree with the wooden spokes looking better unpainted though and when I restore my wheels they will be left natural. I've had luck with Valspar polyurethane which is set up for Marine applications. That's what I'm going to use.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

My genuine original Star M dealers handbook (26-28)shows the 4 cyl cars came with black painted spokes but the 6 cyl cars had natural wood finish.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C Touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

Hi Rusty.
Of all the Durant Star, Flint cars I have seen, bought, restored, and parted out I have never ever seen a natural wood spoke. I also have never seen a dealer brochure with a natural spoke in it. All these cars had painted pinstriped spokes.
For beauty I always strip them and clear seal them. I have used many different companies clear sealer all worked fine.
I would not use lacquer as water can damage it. BTW Rusty most of the stock spokes were hickory, not oak.
Harder stronger longer lasting wood.
Lance Haynes

Where Are You From? www.lancedurant.com & www.hireoldcars.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many

Lance -

My Flint that I inherited from my grandfather has natural wood wheels and to my knowledge, they had never been changed. For the finish on them in restoration, a marine polyurethane was used.

Frank

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes - 1926 Flint E-55 touring

Thanks for all the news so quickly. I purchased this car having had a very meticulous frame off total dis-assembled restoration. The wheels appear to be oak, but could be otherwise -- and varnished with a satin finish. It is a 6 cyl, made in the Michigan plant -- that may explain the natural, (marine) varnish finish. The steering wheel is natural, and doesn't appear to be varnished. Thanks again.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Star Coach

I need to buy 1 wheel that is missinig on my car. Anyone selling one?
thanks,
vernon

Where Are You From? san francisco ca

Do You own a car built by Durant? I own a star car 1927 Durant

hi ron
my star has oak wheels and has the original body colour green paint on them,it is a leaside car my grandfather was a painter there he may have painted this car but i have no proof.
i was told buy a fellow from brougham ont. neer were i grew up that he bid on a tender to supply a wheel manufacturer with oak,he owned a planning mill but didn,t win the bid.this was in the mid 20,s he did supply oak to the military during the 1 st world war for gun wheels
brian

Where Are You From? victoria bc

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 STAR 6 SEDAN

Let me add fuel to the fire based upon my experience with others cars and history. The debate among the Model t clubs has been going on for years and they have found evidence that dealers were shipped wheels that were not painted when they left the factory. These wheels were installed by the dealer but not the factory. Another thing to remember is that these were production runs and seperating out natural wheels would have been a problem. Regarding oak or hickory. I have five cars with wood wheels and none of the wheels are made of oak. I have restored over twenty cars mostly with wood wheels and they have all been hickory. Hickory is flexible but oak is not and tends to split. I can not say that manufactures did not use it but I have never found it. During the war they would have used what is available. Just one old mans opinion.
Jan

Where Are You From? Ft. Thomas, Ky

Do You own a car built by Durant? 24 star coupe

The Durant Motors Automobile Club