Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
starting my engine

Just as a back up note and to keep you guys all informed--I finally got the baby running tonite. My shop is so full of exhaust I cant see across the room . But the **** thing runs. Dies that ever feel good. Still have to do the final adjustments but I am fired up for that now. Next step--get an exhaust system on it --its too noisy as is -- Dont need the neighbours complaining.
Have a small leak in the water pump to fix --it should be easy as it is at the frost plug --Just a rap with the hammer should tighten it up. Then the brakes adjusted - Then the splash guards and then to the muffler shop. Man I feel good tonite . Did anyone hear the big noise??

Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant Model 614 Deluxe Rumble Seat Coupe

Re: starting my engine

I heard it Ken, I thought the volcano in Alaska had blown again. Congratulations and post some progress pictures. By the way I sure do learn a lot from the questions you ask.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Touring

Hi Ken.....

CONGRADULATIONS !!!! It's a Durant!

Glad you got it running, sure sounded good here in Hookstown !!!

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

Way to go Ken ... Think the blue smoke is passing over here today.
Sure does feel great that 1st starting.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Ken,
CHUGG-A, CHUGG-A, Rummmmmmmmmmmmm! A great sound.

With every old car, and Every time, it is just wonderful to see an old lump of metal actually move on its own and hear it first run.

Congratulations on your dedication and peserverance, on making this Ole Gal run again. Well done!!

Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile Brogham, 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Ken-Congrats! There's nothing like the smell of partially burnt hydrocarbons! Pics? Ross

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 standard coupe

Wow! That must be what I heard last night, I thought it was the dog farting,,,,,,,,

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C Touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

Don ... I was thinking it was me doing that but refrained from saying it.

This likely smells worse than both of you together . ha ha ha Have found a big problem tho---getting water in my oil--either a cracked block or a warped head --or ( hopefully} a broken head gasket. Back to the drawing board again. Hope to pull the head tonite and have a look .@$&%#$@
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant Model 614 Deluxe Rumble Seat Coupe

Don't get upset my friend. Bound to be a few wrinkles yet. Hope its minor.

At least you've had the thrill of hearing her roar to life once again and the thrill that gives you. Like being a teen again with your 1st car. Know that feeling all to well.

Looks like a head gasket. Very happy about that but now I need a new one. Checking olsons gaskets and waiting for a reply now.Seems like the old problem of one step fotward and two steps back.
Just wondering if maybe I should pull the engine and check all the other gaskets.Especially front and rear mains. What is the general opinion on this?? Its been a long time since the engine was rebuilt . I guess about 30 + yrs. Would the gaskets and seals have a tendency to maybe harden or dry out and then crack? I didnt see any other leaks anywhere but would rather do it now than have to pull it later again. And I did turn the motor over a few times a yr to keep it loosened up. Any opinions on this??
Ken

Ken,
I understand your feelings (to fix it totally,,,i.e. Perfect!)...but if it ain't leaking any other place, maybe better just to fix the head gasket, especially if you didn't hear any rod or bearing (low-end, Crank noises).

I know you would like to go through it completely. But that's a diease that's called "while I'm in there". If you start pulling the front end seal (or rear seal) while you're there you might as well...(just fill in the Blanks..). That will lead to a TOTAL rebuild. And while you're there "you will say"; the Clutch, then the Trans, ect., ect. need rebuilding too! Get the picture.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it". Just do the Head Gasket..then drive and ENJOY it for awhile (Summer?). You can always pull it down completely in the Fall, or over next Winter (and you will have a great list of things to fix) after the FUN of driving it all Summer! Fix the Head Gasket now and enjoy it!!

My 2 cents worth.
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Lance
I would do as you say --BUT--- I have seen a bit of oil at the rear of the engine--It has me worried so this time I think best to do it now .I dont think I will ever tear it down again , getting too old to do the job again --so fix it now and drive it till one of us croaks . I wont be going any further than the front and rear main seals. Have to pull the pan and clean it out anyway --the seals are not much farther.
Ken

Ken ... shouldn't tell you this story. When I pulled the pan off in the 60's I couldn't get the rear gasket to work at all under the main. Put the pan on .. leak, off again and ... leak. Tried all sorts of suggestions using cork, felt, etc and always .. leak. I asked its present owner a couple of years back if he ever solved the pan leak. Yep tarred the area and that stopped it. Get your bucket of tar out

Hi Ken.....

Be real careful with those front and rear seal blocks, they are made of pot metal and do have a tendency to crumble. I try to follow Lance's "if it ain't broke don't fix it"..

Olson's is probably the best source for the head gasket. I only have a couple spares for my cars. Didn't think I would have a 614, but then one followed me home from Gary K's.......

Have fun and enjoy your NEW car.

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

Ken-One step forward and two back? Yeah you should be able to see where the gasket was blown through, maybe check to see if the head was milled flat?, Hopefully the block has been decked. There was a recent discussion here about torquing head bolts and what washers to use etc. Good luck! Ross

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 standard coupe

Only referance I kept was Fitzgerald 1023 for the head gasket but have 5580A penned in after as well and Cord 1380 for exhaust and 1880 penned in after that.
Think Frank mentioned those additional numbers not long ago in Forum.
Don't know if that helps.

Ken:

If you start friggin around with those front and rear seals you may have more problems than a bit of dripping oil. They are pot metal and very fragile. However, if you want a super job, Mike Butters makes new replacement seal blocks machined to specs and with new seals in place everything should be hunky dory. I do have an extra gasket for a 22AA that I bought a few years ago from Mr. Gasket. Paid $75.00 and would give it to you for the same plus shipping.
Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

I am pleased to say that my problem is not a main seal. --I pulled the pan and found my rear gasket was twisted off to one side. Had a space about 2 1/2 inches with no gasket in place. Luckily it is salvagable so I have it sealed into place and am waiting for the compound to dry a bit --then put it back up and hope it goes in right this time. I am waiting for a reply from Olsons about a new head gasket . Gord -- thanks for the offer--will be in touch if I am out of luck with Olsons .
Ken

There you go Ken ...same place I had trouble with in the 60's. Back pan area. Back then you could go to CTC or most auto places for gaskets and parts for our cars. Had a few people giving me ideas at work on using other than cork, tried different thicknesses, but as I mentioned nothing worked. Pan itself didn't seem warped or dented in that dip at the back. Actually no dents at all in the pan. Wasn't leaking before I rebuilt the motor but for some reason I just couldn't seal it putting the pan back on. ??? Scott did with tarring it back there. Wasn't pouring out just a dripping now and then. Just put it down to stubborn Durant with another problem.

You should have heard my chums father when he brought the 31 home for the 1st time. Why would anyone in their right mind buy a piece of junk like a Durant ? Its an assembled car blaa blaa blaa, ha ha. He was some upset his son had got the car. Father was a Ford salesman and I guess there was nothing other than a Ford. Bill probably sold A's for Campbell Ford. He still had A booklets, his son sold at a flea market.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you the head gasket is its only problem, motor wise. At least you know Gord has a gasket ,so don't blow your own gasket,

The Durant Motors Automobile Club