Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SPLIT RIM TOOLS

DOES ANYONE HAVE A PICTURE OF THE TOOLS IT TAKES TO MOUNT AND DISMOUNT THE TIRES ON A M2 DURANT WITH SPLIT OUTER RIMS? OR KNOW HOW TO DO IT FAST AND EASY? JOHN

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 DURANT M2

Re: SPLIT RIM TOOLS

Hi John, I don't know too much about those split rims and my car has one piece wheels. So the split rim tool I have is available ,if you want it. I don't need any money for it,just pay for the shipping. It is a 3 jaw lever type with some adjustment for size. Let me know if you are interested. Good luck,Rusty

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star touring

John:
Do you belong to the club. I wrote a complete article last year on how to change tires with a split rim and included pictures.
Jan

John,
"Fast and Easy" doesn't enter in to it, with Split-rims!!!!!!

But Getting the tire (one side) on, then the Rim Flap and Tube next installed usually aren't too bad. Lastly lever the other bead on (avoiding pinching the tube). Hard work and determination does it, but NO tire store will help you so you do it yourself. Not too bad with the right tools and rubber lube (or dish soap). Finally spreading the rim back out to put in the lock bolt, and you're done.

However I'm still looking for a "Large" Truck-sized rim spreader. I have a medium sized "Green 3-leg crank one" (actually Two) and having two is VERY handy (one from each side)! But they are too small for my 20" inch Locomobile Split Rims. They keep bending and stop short of fully spreading my big 20" Locomobile rims!

If anyone has a BIGGER "Truck Size" rim spreader ( for 18" to 30" inch Rims) I would be very motivated to BUY it! I talked with Norm and we know Truck ones are out there but hard to find. Thanks in advance.

Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile Brogham, 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Hi dear friends,

How about this one:

http://www.universaltire.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=24946&category_id=294

Does it work well?

Dib Franciss

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, a 1927 Rugby - Model M

Thanks Lance .. get me into it. I have wires now with Dot and those are a snap also with two tire irons, and cuss words, as I found out. Had split rims on the old 30 614 and 31 Chevy, and changing tires was so simple with a 19 inch rim spreader. Have to remember the spreaders came different sized for various sized rims. Not so simple using a 21 inch rim spreader in a 19 inch rim. Just don't over crank the spreader and bend the rim, trying to get the two edges in the right place for bolt, pin, sliding catch or whatever the fastening part is. All sorts of different ways of fastening the two edges depending on the car Co.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Yes Dib thats the tool. Seems it must come different sized as you have to tell them rim size. Doesn't look like they have many. They are on Ebay now and then, and flea markets. Could have picked up a couple a year back at a junk shop in Lanark but I guess they were a fly by night as the place is empty now. They labled them buggy jacks, little did they know. Only a few folks around now who know what some of the tools are for our cars.

Description Rim Jack
Original Rim Spreaders for Demountable split rims. Please advise rim diameter when ordering. Limited availability! Price: $ 80.00

Thank you, Norm for the confirmation.
I just placed an order for this RIM JACK in the website. I specified that I need it for a rim diameter 19". Fortunately my brother-in-law will spend a couple of days in the US, and he will bring it to me, otherwise I would have to pay high import taxes.
By the way, I am new in this field of wooden wheels, so where I could learn how to use this tool? What is this RIM JACK for specifically? Is there any video on youtube or anywhere else about this?

Thank you in advance,

Dib Franciss

Not even 5 minutes passed then I received a sad response from the Universal Tire telling me that the rim jack I ordered is not on stock...
Very upseting...
I send the guy a note asking when it would be available...let's wait for his respose.

Dib

Dear friends,

I found something very interesting regarding to SPLIT RIMS SPREADER, it is leaf with instructions of correct use.
I thought it would be a great addition to our Tech Page, if Rick Botti agrees.

Regards to all,

Dib Franciss

Rim Spreader Instructions

I have a Universal Rim tool that is in great shape. I got it for my '28 Durant which is now for sale. Since I won't need it now, I will sell it for what I paid for it plus shipping: $25.00. John Parrish
541-514-5084

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M-2 Durant

My Universal split rim tool is just like the above picture.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M-2 Durant

There you go Dib .. now you know how. I see they show another form of fastening the two halfs together, with that side povot slide part. There are all different kinds of securing the two edges. I do recall one that was hinged affair so rim edge couldn't be pulled sideways but up and back only to release the tire.

I will warn you its still a tool to be careful with. Its cast metal and handles do break, as I did with mine in ancient ages. Let the tire out of my hand with the spreader still attached and it all fell backwards on heavy side. I had two handle pieces when I righted it back up. Wasn't a happy camper for my stupidity. Tried to have it welded several times to no avail.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club