Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
25 STAR door handle and headlight part

Hello Durantonians. I'm having a tough time finding an outside door handle for my touring car.I sure would like to put the right one on it to match the other 3. Anyone out there have an extra one they can part with? Also, I am trying to assemble the headlights and I need the 8 metal clips that hold the rims on. If they just aren't available, maybe someone could post a picture of one so I could see what it is supposed to look like.I don't have one. Thanks in advance!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star touring

Re: 25 STAR door handle and headlight part

Rusty,
Seems like when I was in Prescott Az.about 10 years ago they had one (STAR) restored in the heritage Museum in the center of town with a Parts car (Star) out back. The restored one was shown with old Buggys, Wagons, etc. Maybe they have an example you could see (or an extra one to sell?). Hope this helps you.
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Hi Rusty,

If you can send me a picture, I may have a handle in my patterns that are the same as yours. My email nbutters@eagle.ca

Thanks,
Mike

Franz Fraitzl from Vancouver is planning on making new clips for these lights. I am waiting for a set when he gets the dies completed.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Hi Lance, Here in Prescott, we have the Sharlotte Hall Museum. Charlotte was an early Arizona pioneer with an interest in preserving AZ history.She wisely purchased a new model M Star touring car in 1927 and drove it all around Yavapai county. The car was restored by our local car club back in the 70s. It can be seen, on display, in the museum. I would like do an article on this for the club magazine soon.

Mike, Thank you so much for offering to check your archives for my door handle. I will definitely consider that as "plan B" for now. I'm still hoping to stumble on an original. Got a few more swap meets to exhaust. Thanks, Rusty

Gordon, I forgot about the project Franz was working on (headlight rim retainer clips). GO FRANZ GO !! I might need a couple sets. I have an extra set of headlights that I want to complete.

Rusty - do you know what the handle looks like. If so, please post a picture. My 25 Star Touring has three different handles on it.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Vince, I am fortunate to have an almost complete and original 25 STAR touring with very few mysteries to figure out. When I got it,it had 3 out of 4 handles and that ain't bad! They all match and are in pretty good usable shape. I will definitely post pictures just as soon as I can locate a teenager to show me how. I have a question, I have heard that many touring cars and roadsters do not have outside door handles. Is that true? Which ones don't? Is it an east coast, west coast thing?

The F model Star tourings had a "Delux" version with outside handles. The "Standard" version did not. Different sheet metal also from the cowl back at least.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C Touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

So Don, My STAR might be a Deluxe model? Besides having door handles, I wonder what other extravagances it may have been loaded up with when new? I've seen some with wind deflectors. Anything else?

Rusty,
My 23 Chevy "Superior B" Touring car is a survivor with 11,000 miles ($495 FOB Flint Mich.). It has never been restored, and has been storred continously since 1941 (put away for the war!). It is a late 23 Standard model with no outside handles and has a (body color) painted radiator and no bumpers. The "24 Deluxe" model Had a "Nickle plated" radiator, and plated Headlight rings. Other items (like Cowl lights and Bumpers) were "Deluxe" Accessories which were plated also.

Other items like a Spare rim and tire, Heater, and Luggage rack (running board accordian style)could also be ordered as well. Mine also has a Fat-man steering wheel (swing-away)option. Actually a Top, Headlights and a Tail light were listed as options on my car but usually ordered. Probably the same for a Wiper and Horn too. Most "Standard" models were very basic.

This "Plating" trim (and extra accessories)started to be pretty common on most "Deluxe" cars during those mid 20's years even on the low cost cars.
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club