Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
29 Durant Model 63 and 66 WW Brake Drums

Hi,
Would anyone out there have a pair of rear brake drums and hubs for a Model 63 or 66 Durant with 5 bolt wire wheels with a 6 1/2 hubcap opening?

Thanks,
Dave

Re: 29 Durant Model 63 and 66 WW Brake Drums

Are they the same as the 1930 5 bolt 19's with lock rings ? If so contact Carol. Fellow in BC has 5 bolt wires 6 1/2 hub off a 1930 614 with front and rear end, I believe. I didn't retain the email addy after talking to him. The drums would be with those.

Gord Taylor in NS has the idential 6 wheels on his 1930 614 sidemounted sedan. He was asking me what 6 bolt were as he hadn't seen those before on a an front axle he picked up. Said those were standard wires for 30 - 32 D's also 6 1/2 hub opening.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Norm,
I contacted that gentleman too earlier. He sent me some info on them and was sending more? He was supposed to get back to me with further info on their condition and number of Lugs, etc. I was interested in them (if they fit) for my 30 Durant 610? (But I think my axles (pictured from Levi) were 6 Lug?

Anyway.... I'm still waiting for further info on their condition, lugs, etc. But he's probably buried in Snow like you too. Perhaps you could take a drive over there on a NICE day, sometime soon and inspect??
Afterall I AM going to the Charolotte Swap Meet for YOU!!

Hopefully I can pick them up if they are useable (?) and if they fit (5 Lug or 6 Lug?) my Durant 610 (or "410" Hee, Hee), this Summer.

Lord knows I couldn't afford to ship them down here!
Maybe you could ROLL them ACCROSS the Border for me, Ha, Ha!!

Lance C,

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile Brogham, 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Lance .. Levi's are 6 bolt and this guys are 5 bolt. Told you that awhile back. Didn't know you were still persuing them. You need both drums and wheels as a set. Some of Levi's studs are broken but they are 6. Should be interesting seeing you put 5 bolt wheels on 6 stud drums. ha ha. Levi's wheels should be adjustable spoke but no lock ring. BC ones have the lock rings.

Ya I'm going to drive 5000 miles to see them. Ken lives near there and he can get the moose to pull his 614 coup over to see them. Actually Ken says he knows of the guy.

Hell they should be out of snow by now. I raked the front lawn yesterday. I hear old man winter hasn't gone way and its getting colder next week. Can't recall if its coming from out west or up from the US.

Okay you guys- I dont know who you are talking about . I also have some brake drums and backing plates from a 6-14 I picked up as a parts car Would have to check dimensions before I say if they are for 6 1/2 inch wheels but I think they would be I am sure they are 5 bolt
. I will check tomorrow - Let you know soon. The guy you say I know-- who would that be??
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant Model 614 Deluxe Rumble Seat Coupe

Sorry Ken .. can't recall his name. He's the guy that changed the 407 to 614 motor in the mid 70's. Used to belong to DMAC. He found the 614 sedan in a field on Vanc Island back then. The stearing column, wire wheels, front / back axles are all for sale off that as well as the 407 motor. Carol contacted me hoping there might be parts for Dot. Talked with the fellow several times but no such luck. I mentioned about all this to you in one of the emails and you said you knew of him and his car. Not 100% sure but I think his is a coup or roadster.

He reversed the front cross member to allow the 6 cyl to fit and longer gas linkage to carb. Been driving it since the 70's that way. She just purrs along now without any vibration over 40 mph the 4 banger caused.

Okay got him- that is Scholes (I think thats how its spelled ) First name I believe is Len. He one time worked for B C Telephone . He had what he called a 614 coupe but it didnt look right to me so I asked him about it .He said he had a 4 cyl and changed out the engine to a 6 cyl. Body style was wrong for a 614 thats what cought my eye .
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant Model 614 Deluxe Rumble Seat Coupe

The wheels for these drums are.....

19 inch
snap ring
60 spoke
3 3/4 center hole
5 3/8? bolt circle
6 1/2 hubcap opening

Dave

Hi Dave ...went and checked Dots wires. 40 spoke adjustable 6 stud on 5 1/2 center, with 3 1/2 opening.

Frank is looking for 5 bolt the same but with no snap / lock ring for a 619.

I had wondered if your 63 / 66 drums would even be the same as the later 30 - 32 type. I mentioned before it doesn't appear Leaside cars had wires prior to 30 based on the parts catalogues. They mention 6 and 6 1/2 hub openings for 30 and later, but wooden spoke pre 30.

I call them lock ring, you snap ring and catalogue says side ring. What's in a name, ha ha.

In Terry's site it has the 63 as Leaside only with wooden wheels but 66 at 3 plants and shows the wires you mention on the deluxe models.

Yes Ken I believe that is the name of the fellow. Would appear neither his nor your wheels is what Dave needs. However Lance might for his 1930 410 407 610 or you name the model.

Typical Durant to have an assortment of wheels , and not just one standard wire for all.

Norm & All,
Thanks, I will count my lugs and measure my bolt circle as well as bearing-hub center diameter.

Who ever (in the club) bought Levi's (Calif) wheels 2 to 3 years ago has the Size wheels I need for my Durant 610 Special Deluxe. Since I bought his hubs & axles.Thanks for any help in this!

Norm; worse case on my plumbing leak, Have to tear out half the kitchen so far, and have not got there yet. Working on cars is definitely more fun.
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Well I finally got to measure my wheels . sorry -Made a big boo boo . They are 6 stud-48 spokes-6 1/2 inch outside opening (for hub caps) and 4 1/2 inch inner opening. guess nothing here will fit
Ken

Hang on Lance .. I'll grab the chainsaw and we'll open up the walls in the kitchen. Like Ti Pennington says "its time for a lettle demo, so lets get at it". Maybe he can build you a new house.

Norm, & All,
Still looking for a Set of wire wheels for my 30 Durant 614 axles (from Levi) to complete it as a 610 with the optioned Wire wheels.

Norm You're too late I ripped the Kitchen half out this morning. About that time (after clearing out the cupboards)I saw leak was also comming from other outside wall by dishwasher & sink! Access is outside to that through outside "deck" house wall! Well you guesed it! After ripping off the outside wall....it was wet inside, but no plumbing and still no leak to be found there?

Moving on to other wall(behind Kitchen cabs plywood) and up half a floor to bedroom sink area....LEAK has to be somewhere? No water for three days now!

House is only 28 years old but crappy "Grey" plastic plumbing which keeps busting, more often now as it gets older. Fix is to Re-plumb the entire house with new "PEX" (red and blue rubberized PVC)piping, Top to Bottom $$$$!!

Fixing Durants (and Locomobiles) is easier, MUCH more fun, and a Heck of a lot cheaper!
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Lance .. sounds like the wheels and drums in BC is your best bet so far.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club