Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pot metal engine parts

I have been working on a 1928 Durant Continental 15 U motor that has some pot metal pieces to house the rear main seal. When I dismantled it the metal just fell apart. The seal is not the standard rope seal but some cork or cork like material. I have plans to make the housing pieces out of aluminum and use a rope seal or split seal. I am curious what club members have done in my situation?
The front seal is not of the normal design either as it has a thin strip of the cork like material as well. The area that houses the seal will not accept a normal rubber lip seal as the inside and outside diameters are too close to each other. What have the club members done for replacing the front seal?

Re: Pot metal engine parts

Steve:
Mike Butters has cast up and machined replacement seal block castings for these motors machined to specs.

See advertisement in Durant Partner

Michael & Neil Butters
1063 Ontario Street,
Cobourg, Ontario, Canada K9A 3C8
1-905-372-6926

Note: They make good stuff

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

S. Blomquist
I have been working on a 1928 Durant Continental 15 U motor that has some pot metal pieces to house the rear main seal. When I dismantled it the metal just fell apart. The seal is not the standard rope seal but some cork or cork like material. I have plans to make the housing pieces out of aluminum and use a rope seal or split seal. I am curious what club members have done in my situation?
The front seal is not of the normal design either as it has a thin strip of the cork like material as well. The area that houses the seal will not accept a normal rubber lip seal as the inside and outside diameters are too close to each other. What have the club members done for replacing the front seal?

After some research for seal options and producing the machining drawings, i am nearly done with the new aluminum rear seal housing parts that has the incorporated newer "split-seal" type seal.

The question still remains now of what to do about the deteriorated front seal? I need to replace the poor quality cork seal material used on the front seal with a more suitable material, or adapt a modern neoprene press-in seal. Just fishing for other options or ideas of how others have tackled the sealing issues?

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Hi Steve Please call the owner of Kenyon Machine shop Greg King 858-270-2610 in the late afternoon San Diego time.
He has reworked a lot of our members engines including president Rick Botti and mine cutting out the front of the timing chain cover and welding in a custom made retainer for a modern removable seal. He is doing member Shaun Murphy's 22A from Oregon right now.
Regards.
Lance Haynes San Diego

Where Are You From? www.lancedurant.com & www.hireoldcars.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many

The Durant Motors Automobile Club