Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Carburetor doubt

Dear ones,

Would you please tell me if this model of carburetor is the right one for my 1927 RUGBY Model M?
There's a guy selling this, but he doesn't know anything about it, just that it was from a 1927 Rugby.

Thank you once more for this help !

Dib Franciss

Photobucket

Photobucket

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, a 1927 Rugby, Model M

Re: Carburetor doubt

Don't know what that is but our Star owners should know if its right or wrong. Looks downdraft carb that had an air cleaner on top. Weren't pre 1933 all up draft carbs for D Motors cars ? Continental and C400 C600 downdraft I believe and 1933 633 Durant updraft.

If you refer to Links page under Star carb kits it gives 1927 M Tillotson T-1A.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Doesn't look like any of our carbs to me.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Hi All......

Never seen anything like this on one of our cars.

Frank

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

Humm perhaps those below the equator are upside down to us, this would be an updraft carb. Sorry the devil made me say it.

Sure is different being mounted sideways to the mainfold and downdraft. I've see a vehicle that has two updraft carbs attached, and openings facing opposite to each other. Also has a fuel pump and vacuum tank. Thought ya might need a chuckle. This is outside Henderson Ont off hwy 7. Might be part Durant, its sure got a buggy axle and springs under center part of her. Bring this the the "concourse de elegance" ...
whatever

This is the link where the carburetor is advertised.
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.uy/MLU-9049777-carburador-de-rugby-1927-_JM

The guy says that the only thing written in the carburetor is:
SOLEX PATD BTE S.G.D.G.

Sounds like someone may have altered the existing Rugby / Star car and its Tillotson carb and manifold to put this thing on. Theres also a pic of a Solex that was "fitted" to a 70 Volkswagen. This Co appears to be much like the many Co's that made accessories for Ford T and other makes. The T was the most accessorized car in history. Each Co claiming to make the T better running or looking.

Under serach for SOLEX it has this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solex

Solex was a French manufacturer of carburetors and the powered bicycle VéloSoleX.

The Solex company was founded by Marcel Mennesson and Maurice Goudard to manufacture vehicle radiators. These were fitted to several makes of early cars including Delauney-Belleville and buses of the Paris General Omnibus company.

After World War I the radiator business went into decline and the company bought the rights to the carburettor patents of Jouffret and Renée and named them Solex after their business

Solex carburetors were until the mid 1980s used on many European cars including Volkswagen, Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Audi, Ford, BMW, Citroen, Opel, Simca, Saab, Renault, Peugeot, Lancia, Mercedes Benz, Volvo and Porsche. Solex carburetors have been made under licence by a number companies including the Mikuni company of Japan who supplied them to auto makers including Toyota, Mitsubishi and Suzuki as well as to various Japanese motorcycle makers. Mikuni originally entered into a licensed manufacturing agreement with Solex in 1960 and further developed many of Solex's original designs.

The Solex brand is now owned by Magneti Marelli. The original Solex company changed its name in 1994 to Magneti Marelli France and on May 31, 2001, Magneti Marelli France partially bought its assets (including the trademark SOLEX) from Magneti Marelli Motopropulsion France S.A.S.

The trademark "VELOSOLEX" is the property of Velosolex America, LLC which markets the Velosolex worldwide.

Hey Dib, Frank Witkowski should have a replacement carb that you can use that looks period correct and will work well with our cars. Email or call him and he can send you one I'm sure. Get something better and more period on there so it looks as good as your car does.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Thank you all guys for your wise and prompt responses.
I think I will wait a bit to buy the carburator after this purchase of the rims.
But Frank, just for curiosity would you have it?
Would you mind sending me a pic by email?
Thank you in advance for being always so present.

Dib

Dear friends,

May I have your opinion?
I saw this carburetor on Ebay. Is this the right carburetor for my 1927 RUGBY Model M ?

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220385460619&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123&viewitem=#ebayphotohosting

Thank you in advance,

Dib Franciss

Hi Dib ..the JR5A has come up in discussion before. Its a replacement or after market carb for a 1931 model 619. The R indicates replacement. It has also been adapted to other cars like Chev.

Wayne was looking for one for his 619.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club