Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
condenser

I have need of a condenser for my distributer. Just discovered that there is none in the dist. and cant even see where it would fasten in .Has anyone got a picture and a part number for me ??
Distributer number is IGB-4031-4K
Thanks again guys
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant Model 614 Deluxe Rumble Seat Coupe

Re: condenser

Ken ... NAPA should have your condenser AL38.

http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S(fg1bml553e1n32j1kffzat45))/Results.aspx?Ne=2000000&N=599001+101930+50377+2377008

Part: ECH AL38
Product Line: Echlin Ignition
Price : 7.69
Application Information: 1930 Durant Model 614

Just have to go to Automobile, then pick a year, then Durant, model 614.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Hi Ken.......

Norm is correct with the NAPA part number.

The condenser mounts on the outside of the dist housing. You will see a tapped hole for the screw near the bottom edge.

The condenser has a tab welded to its side for the screw, and it is formed to fit the curve of the housing.

Time to get that baby fired up!!

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

If the mounting screw for the condenser is missing, use the shortest one possible. If you use one too long it will hit the counterweights.

Dave

Hi Frank .... Thanks, I was going to check Dot as I thought it fastened outside. At times I doubt myself and other times ... old'er age Got volunteered to fix a few things for a friend of Di's instead ,so didn't get to Dot.

Do you know if they changed numbers ? My file says AL63 I got in 2006 from Stephan who kept record of the parts he bought for his 31 614 a few years earlier. I also copied out an Ebay NOS ignition kit, last year, that fit a number of 6 cyl cars inc the Durant's. It also give Standard AL-63 condenser. If you put AL63 in NAPA it gives you the distributor cap for a four cyl. Just to further muddy it up, this same ebay says the cap is AL36 but NAPA says "corrected from : AL 36" and shows Air Brake Chamber Diaphragm for Midland Brake.

I have AL92 for distributor cap and Rotor AL64. NAPA says it has no such number's. Their rotor is AL32 and has no cap for any 6 cyl. ??? This AL32 rotor fits the 407 ,40, 60, 610, 612, 614, 617 ,618, 619, 621 ,622, all 3 Continental's it says as well. Humm no 633 or Fronty's or DeVaux's

I know I was told there were two different cap / rotor's and one didn't fit the other for the 22A's, so make sure I got the right match.

I'd be careful ordering the condenser to make sure it is a condenser and not some other part.

Hi All.....

A picture is worth a thousand words so here goes:

This is the dist in my 619, same as your 614 Ken. The second is a set of the tune up parts available from NAPA. Notice the difference in the 2 caps, the original is a lot shorter, and takes a lower rotor. You must use the modern ones as a set. The cap and rotor are both higher than original.

Norm I looked back in my old books from the late 60's when I worked for NAPA and the AL-38 condenser is listed back then. It is still available as I just sent some tune up parts to Australia. The CS 709 is the set of points.

As Dave mentioned watch the length of the condenser screw, if too long it will jam the dist. Not a good thing.

Hope this helps......Frank ---

Photobucket

Photobucket

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

wouldn't the curve on the AL 38 have to be the other way to fit Franks distributor? we use the AL 38 on our car and it fits just under the distributor housing

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D 63 4 dr sedan

Thats right Dave but its easy to bend it so it clears all the bolts and such under the distributer
I had to bend mine a bit so it would clear .
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant Model 614 Deluxe Rumble Seat Coupe

Thanks Frank, I'll add your info to what I have. Looks like we have 3 choices of parts. Funny the cap you show doesn't come up in NAPA under any Durant / year, no cap does.

That must be what they were talking about, making sure cap / rotor are a set. High and low caps.

Stephan's 614 has from Bourk's Ignition in Ottawa (and they are still in business)
Dist Cap .. AL92
Condenser .. AL63
Rotor .. AL64
Points .. AL5661X

Ebay item (2008)NOS Ignition Set, Made USA
Will fit 6 cyl Auto-Lite Ignition equipped:
Dist Cap .. AL36 (reddish brown)
Condenser .. AL63
Rotor .. IBG-1002 (Auto-lite)
Points .. IBG-3028LS (Auto-lite)
It shows boxes with the numbers on them
Lists all the 6 cyl D's 1928 - 32 "60 - 618"
28 / 29 Whippet 98A
30 - 32 Willys 98B,97D,98SD,90,90A
33 Rockne 10
27- 33 Essex Super, E,31-E,32-E
33 Essex Terraplane 33K,33KU,KU Del
28-33 Nash Standard 6, Single 6 660,960,1060,1120

1935 Tune up chart only mentions Condenser IGB-1025 and nothing about cap, rotor or points. All it says for points is .018- .020 after 1000 miles and .020 - .024 newly installed.

Chilton has its own set of numbers but it seems the 610 had its own cap and condenser ,but same rotor ??

Memory .. I forgot I have a pic on the disk of Dots motor Ken or I would have sent that to you. Red / brown dist cap, and condenser attached at side back, drivers side. Same as Franks pic shows.

Check Ebay Item number: 130290741592 must be same guy as last year just his pic is different and doesn't give all the part numbers he did before. AL63 condenser again.

There's you chance to get an orig dist cap.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club