Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Muffler size and Tailpipe shape

I have the pipe from manifold to the muffler for my 1926 Star Model 40 Touring.

I have no muffler or tailpipe.

I would like the correct muffler length and diameter ?

And is there supposed to be a tailpipe ?
(or did things stop at the muffler end)

And if there is a tailpipe... does anyone have pictures of what is should look like ?

Tx

Guy

A puzzle:

I was in Edmonton last week and went and saw member Paul Fuog's 1924 Touring M. Holy smokes.. it has a muffler about 4 feet long. About 6 inches in diameter and no obvious exhaust port at back.

What sayeth you guys on that muffler ?

Where Are You From? www.bcsaggregates.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Grandpa's 1926 Star Touring

Re: Muffler size and Tailpipe shape

Guy,I believe you are speaking of the famous "Durant tubular back bone". It is 50" long,bracket to bracket,and measures 5" wide.The pipe is 1 3/4" in and the out is a curved slot on the back bracket with the metal bent outward and pointing the exhaust downward.This assy is hot riveted to the frame with 6 5/8" rivets,3 on each end. I have made one for my 25 touring. Hope this helps.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star touring

My 25 Star has a muffler like the one Rusty described.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Rusty :

Thank you for the information. Yes that muffler on the '24 is huge; it looks like a torpedo hanging under the car.

My question is ;

How long was this type of muffler used; specifically, were they used in 1926, in Leaside ?

Next question is;

if you had one made up, do you have a schematic or diagram... I would like to get as original as possible

Thanks for reply to date

Where Are You From? www.bcsaggregates.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Grandpa's 1926 Star Touring

Guy, I don't have an actual schematic for the muffler. I copied the rusted out one that came with my Star.I built it myself so that it would look like the original,right down to the welded seem on the bottom and the oval holes in the brackets for the brake rods.I made a few extra parts and I guess I could make another one.It is kind of labor intensive so it would cost around $400-450.I need to find another chunk of the right 5" tube.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star touring

I would imagine they were used in Leaside. My 1st look crawling under Dot and looking at this long pipe of a muffler and wondering. Its a lot shorter than the 50 inch you mention. Lucky 614 owner can have two lengths 19 3/8 or 28 3/4.

I assume your 26 is the M one mentioned here but that has a tail pipe. The top one doesn't and is more costly. Perhaps that's the 50 incher. Seems both CC and M were made 1926 based on Terry's site. If what you mention as 40 is the M it appears to have a "normal" muffler and tail pipe like the M2, 40, 55, Durant's, and is held in place by two bands like cars to 1933. Dot still has her bands. The item mentions "simply remove the old muffler by loosing the two bolts, slip the new unit over the end of the exhaust pipe and secure by same bolts." The two bolts mentioned are one per band and any child can change mufflers, as I found out. No clamps or fuss.

Photobucket

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club