Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
engine start up

I am soon going to be trying to start the engine in this baby. Are there any tips that I should know about to make it easier to do? I hope I can get it running . Hate to have done all this work for nothing.
It should run but maybe there are some little things that will make it a surer thing
I figure to squirt a bit of gas in each cylinder first. May have to use a 12 volt battery on the starter to turn it over fast enough. What is the
possible problem with that. Any chance the power would get back into some parts and burn them out?
Any tips will be appreciated
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: engine start up

Ken use a 12 volt to starter only and remove the battery connection. Starter will take the 12 volt the rest of the system won't. She'll run ok like that, just take the cables off when she starts. We also sprayed WD40 in the carb as she turned over, its highly flammable. Wasn't for oiling just an added bonus as I had nothing else to spray in. Dot started right up doing that.

Fingers cross for ya my friend and maybe you'll get back to Ont in the car one day.

Norm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Ken:
I would not put gas into the cyc as you will wash the cyc walls down. Squirt a little oil into the cyc. and leave the plugs out. Turn the engine over several times to distribute the oil and pump it out the plug hole. Put the plugs back in and make sure the vac. tank is full. Choke the carb. and try to start it without the starter fluid first. If it does not start pull a plug and make sure you have fire. If you do use a little starting fluid or WD 40 but only turn it over a few times. If it does not start do not contine to run the starter as you will burn it up.
Hope this helps
Jan

Jan
Dont know why I said gas--I do know better and really meant oil. All the rest will be done as you suggested .Just waiting for a few little items to arrive and while I wait I am going to try to adjust my brakes. No use making it go if I cant make it stop. Sure hope to hear it roar- and if it starts it will--No exhaust on it yet-- That loud noise you hear coming from the north west will be it
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Jan .. we got modern cars with fuel pumps. Thank goodness for that much and not playing with vacuum tanks or electric added to by pass.

I doubt you'll burn out the starter with the 12 volt. We did it using the van running and cables for two Sundays off and on in April 2007 and the starter wasn't affected at all. Didn't even get warm. That was one of my concerns using cables and 12 volt from the van. Was told its the amps that kill not the voltage and it wouldn't hurt the starter. Just be sure the 6 volt cable is not connected to the starter at all. Only the jumper cable, positive to starter for short bursts and neg to anything. We didn't leave the cables on constantly but rolled her over a few times,with key on, and then checked what was wrong. Did that quite a few times the 1st Sunday and she tried to start but .... Guess you have to have the right firing order, jets cleaned properly, and distributor lined up ha ha. It was the two tiny jets in the carb I missed. Didn't know they were there. She now starts on the 6 volt with choke out and throttle pulled out slightly. Yes a little oil in each cyl doesn't hurt and is quickly burnt off. Can hand crank that over, with plugs out, before using the 12 / 6 volt batteries. You can do the same to see if a plug is firing. Points opening and closing ??

Roar is good. Can't tell you if the noise is less with or without a muffler. I removed what was left of a muffler under Dot that was left on after running her the 1st few times. Last summer I picked up a NOS muffler from Randy Miniker and changed the rust for the new one. Childs play. The 35 catalogue was right anyone can do it and only two bolts to undo. Slip off the old and slid on the new. Reattach the two bands and you are finished. Started Dot up and she sounded the same. Guess it might be because she's in the shed so the sound isn't dispersed.
Norm

Yes, its the amps that burn up things but its the volts that push the current through. So a 12 volt battery on a 6 volt light bulb will push the amps so high the bulb burns out. However, thats a resistance device. A starter is an induction device (i.e. it works by generating a magnetic field). As such it is self-limiting on current. As the amps increase and the starter spins faster, there is reverse force generated (called back EMF)that keeps the amps from getting out of hand. Thus, 12 volts on a 6 volt starter shouldn't hurt it. HOWEVER, our starters are old and the insulation may have cracks and otherwise be broken down. If so, the high voltage could cause arcing and a short. If that is the case, the starter would probaby soon break down anyway with 6 volts. SO, go ahead and use the 12 volts with the 6 volt cable disconnected at the battery.

One more thing, my Star is a positive ground. On it, I would have to ground the positive of the 12 volt and jump the negative to the starter. When you jump the starter, use the same polarity as you have.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Talking about generators, it was mentioned on one of the forum subjects a few days ago about a place to oil the back bushing on a durant generator. I don't think I ever saw a provision to oil this bearing or bushing on any of my past old cars including my present 1928 M-2 sedan. Is it because it is not considered that important with something that is not run constantly, or is it something to worry about. Anybody know??? Fritz Kuenzel

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes- 1928 M-2

Vince ..don't you mean disconnected at the starter ? You still need the 6 volt for spark / coil etc. Its only the starter you are separating from the system.

Interesting reverse again. Pos to ground and we are neg to ground. Sure was one heck of a change 29 to 30 and up, in everything except tires / tubes. Reminds of the saying "Henry finally made a lady out of the T when he brought out the A". Same with our cars ,the Durant grew up to be a fine steed.

DAM --- I meant starter. Does anyone know why most of us don't have a place to oil the rear bearing or bushing on the back end of a starter. Fritz

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes- 1928 M-2

Our Durant with an Autolite 4001-9 starter has provisions for oiling both front and rear bushings

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D 63

Yes, I meant 6 volt disconnected at the starter.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Ken .. my friend .. give up on us and let the moose pull the car as you try to start it. You remember the one you had hitched up before ? Go easy on the axles as they shatter like glass right before the crown and pinion. We shattered a fair number in the 60's. And yes they look like broken windshield glass. Perhaps yours are the special Lempco "never break" ones .. grin. If the orig's are heated to take out the temper and then reheated to put the temper back in but less, you'll never break another. Old time mechanic told us that one and how the axles on 30's Durant and Frontenac were over tempered. Worked and we never did break another.

Durant puller

Ken I can't remember if you had this motor rebuilt? Of course you'd treat that a little differently than just awakening it from a multi-year slumber. Get it up to temperature, making sure your gauges are working properly and are showing the numbers you want to see.(These gauges seem only to indicate "trends" instead of real values). Should have coolant up to about 160F at idle(don't know if you have a thermostat installed, some seem to have them, others don't). Rev it up a little just before you shut it off, then pull the plugs and inspect,(too rich, too lean?) adjust if necessary, change oil then plan your first trip!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 standard coupe

Ross
I sure did have the motor rebuilt. The old was very badly worn out . Had to rebore and get oversize pistons . All new bearings (camshaft) and pored and line bored the piston bearings.. Everything done under the supervision of a great machinist/ mechanic friend . It is now almost 3 and 3/8" bore. Good thing this is a heavy cast block. Had to put in chrysler pistons that were a sixteenth inch shorter so had the head and block both shaved to make it up.
I will treat it as a new motor --baby it for a bit --
thanks for the input
Ken

hi ken
my sugestion
remove the plugs ,crank engine ,watch oil pressure for at least 30 sec.this includes adding a touch of oil in each cyl. before cranking,and do use a 12 volt , ignition disconected ,i used to tow my old cars before installing the plugs.bearing are the most sensitive parts of the engine, they need oil before compression.
brian

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 STAR 6 SEDAN

The Durant Motors Automobile Club