Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Zenith Model B versus Tillotson JR5

My grandpa's car came with a Zenith Model B Carburator.
I have rebuilt this carb and things seem to work....

But...

I understand that a Tillotson carb was normal for a 1926 Star Model M from Leaside, with W5.
In that vein I bought a Tillotson carburator on EBay (Tillotson - Model JR5 $60 US)

Questions :

Am I better off just leaving Zenith ?

If to have Tillotson, is better (for authenticity etc)
where would I find a carburator kit and specs ?

Guy

Where Are You From? www.bcsaggregates.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Grandpa's 1926 Star Touring

Re: Zenith Model B versus Tillotson JR5

Guy:
I have never ever seen a repair kit for a Tillotson Carb. That said, these are very simple carburetors and really can only benefit from a real good cleaning. If the butterfly shaft is badly worn, a good machine shop can manufacture for you a new one and bush the bosses if necessary. Sometimes you can rework the needle and seat if they are badly worn. The float, I believe is cork, and as the saying goes, only needs to float. Might need a fresh coat (thin) of shellac.
As to which carb is better, use whichever performs the best.
Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Did you contact Jon (The carb man) in the Links Page to see if he has a kit for the Star ? Just another thought.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Guy:
I thought the JR5 fit the 6 cyls. I watched that carb on eBay - didn't bid it up but just lurked til I saw it go. If you find it doesn't work, I might be interested.

Wayne

Right you are Wayne. If your both talking JR5A it's a jobber carb that's a replacement (hense the R) for the J5A or B used on the 619's. Yes for 22A motors in our case. It also came with an adaptor to fit Chev's. The 30 - 33 carb's won't fit the intake manifold bolt wise for pre 30 6's, just the same as the pre 30's carbs won't fit post 29's. The pre 30 bolts are closer together. Done that / tried that when we tried to get Dot running the 1st time and discovered I missed cleaning two small jets I didn't know existed. Couldn't use a 28 / 28 carb if I wanted to

So far for the 22A 32A motors I've learned Stromburg U2 was used on most 1930 but Tillotson W8A was on 30 - 32. However J4A, J5A, J6A and J7A were also used on some cars Durant and Frontenac. Latest copied 1938 catalogue I just got gives this info about the carbs.
Gord's Fronty and my 614 have the J4A. Tim Orrs former 633 has the J6A.

HELLO NORMIE, I REMEMBER THAT ON MY FIRST 22A ENGINED 6-14 IN THE 60'S, I USED A CARB FROM AN UPDRAFT FORKLIFT....IT WORKED WELL....BUT I FORGET WHICH ONE IT WAS....

My '31 6-19 with the 22A had the original J5 on it when I got it. Got some spare parts but it was so loosy-goosy, it slobbers all over. There's so many ports and tubes even on the shafts, and then there's the accel pump! I'd like to have a good J5 or JR5, but am using one of the club's Zeniths. I'll run with that - I can't make the car run bad so am happy with it. Had to have the adapter to make the bolts fit. Which carb does Guy need for his star?

Wayne

Gary .. your fork lift might have had a continental blue seal motor and could be the reason it worked. I recall seeing a number of blue seals in construction machinery when I was a young lad. I'm sure my uncles Co used to have them for compressors and such in the 40 / 50's.

Wayne .. not into Stars but saw loads of than rusting away in the 60's. Never a closed car, all were touring and perhaps the odd roaster. By then cars on the rock piles and back 40's, were mainly rusting tin with wood long gone. However, looking in DMAC Links and under Star and Durant carbs Jon seems to have R-1E or F or H and R4A, R6A or AF for Star. Under Durant he has R4A or R6A and SP26A for W5. Sounds like R4A and R6A work for both Star and Durant. I assume SP26A works for both also.
Norm

The Durant Motors Automobile Club