Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oil Lubrication on Starter ?

I am rebuilding my starter on a 1926 Star W5, starter is Autolite Type MO No. 4102. The back plate has a small oil cap and lid to fill (squirt) with oil... This allows oil down to starter shaft and bearings.

I have removed the bearings (brass sleeves) and cleaned the oiling tube right through. Gunk, dirt come out; and ?? maybe a small felt piece ???

My question is : Does a bit of felt in the oiling tube (to slowly allow oil to seep through in order lubricate my bearing) make sense or should this just be a cleaned out tube to be filled (with squirt gun) and just allowed to flow to bearing freely ?

if felt makes sense then I would theorize that only the bottom half of tube should have felt...ie having little reservoir of oil in top half of tube, to be allowed to seep slowly through the felt.

Where Are You From? www.bcsaggregates.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Grandpa's 1926 Star Touring

Re: Oil Lubrication on Starter ?

I think your last sentence is about right. Note that the felt also acts to keep dirt out of the bearing. The bearings ought to be sintered bronze, (porous) so that they hold oil themselves.

Do You own a car built by Durant? y

Guy
If you know where to find these oilers let the club know I need 2 for my water pump. cant seem to find them to easy . I will be leeking in the catalogue Frank sent me right away
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Ken :

Oiler Caps are available from Restoration Supply Company of Escondido CA.
Tele :(800) 306-7008
Web site : www.restorationstuff.com allows pdf download of very interesting catalog.
Part called "Spring Oiler Cap" they have
3/16 - LUB075
1/4 - LUB069
5/16 - LUB070
Page 14 has all types of this stuff, including water pump grease cups etc..
Guy

Where Are You From? www.bcsaggregates.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Grandpa's 1926 Star Touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club