Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
oil fittings

Does anyone have a couple of the oil cups that fit on the water pump of a 30 durant model 614. Mine are not usable .I have one that is broken and one that someone welded the hole so its a matter of redrilling and replacing . these are tha small -about 14 inch diameter - press in type with the felt wick in the cup and a spring loaded cap. I can make the wick but need the fittings.
Thanks in advance
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: oil fittings

Guess no one has any old worn out electric motors laying around with these fittings on them --or spare generators, starters, or distributors that had them on . I just cleaned up my place and got rid of all the old stuff . Wouldnt you know it .
May have to very carefully tap and put in a grease nipple . Afraid of cracking the casting and dont want to do that
KEN

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Hi Ken.....

I should have some new oil cups. I will get some out and post a couple pictures.....

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

Hi Ken....

Here are some pictures of the flip up oil caps that I have. These are used on the Model T Ford for the king pin, tie rod and comutator oilers.

You can get them from Me or Mac's. The cost is 70 cents each. The part number is T-2715L

These are the push in type, they require about a 3/8 inch hole

Frank ---

Photobucket

Photobucket

Frank
Thats the type I need but the ones from my car are only 1/4 inch diameter . Guess I could drill the hole bogger but am a bit afraid of maybe cracking the cast iron --it is rather touchy stuff and easy to break. I thought of tapping it for grease nipples but that ia scary too --I need that darned pump . I will keep you in mind as a source . Let you know soon .
Thanks
Ken

Hi Ken.....

Check out page 2154 of the McMaster-Carr catalog.

The list all types & sizes of the flip up oilers like you need.

Frank..... ---

These are called Gits Oilers, are available in many sizes and configurations, and you should be able to find them at any good bearing store. I just finished installing 14 of the 1/4" size on a refurbished Lempco flywheel grinder.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C Touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

Well so much for trying to buy from McMaster Carr. They are only dealing with long established customers. I asked how I could get to be one if they wont even sell me a small item like this.
Frank
I need 2 of the i/4 inch oilers .I ordered 4 of them . They are item no. 1231K1. Can you maybe get them and send to me? I will be happy to send you a cheque . They took my Master card number and then decided not to sell to me.
Ken

Ken :

Oiler Caps are available from Restoration Supply Company of Escondido CA.
Tele :(800) 306-7008
Web site : www.restorationstuff.com allows pdf download of very interesting catalog.
Part called "Spring Oiler Cap" they have
3/16 - LUB075
1/4 - LUB069
5/16 - LUB070
Page 14 has all types of this stuff, including water pump grease cups etc..
Guy

Where Are You From? www.bcsaggregates.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Grandpa\'s 1926 Star Touring

Hi Ken.......

I will get some for you with my next order and send them to you.

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant-Dort buggy

Hi Ken, Question. ? Do you need oil cups or grease cups? If you need grease cups I have some.On Star cars they used grease cups on the water pumps Some even have two, I do not know if Durants are the same

Bert
The ones on my car are oil cups--just like in the picture Frank posted.
I think I have found some--just waiting for a reply to me question
Frank has also said he will get s few to send me
Ken

The Durant Motors Automobile Club