Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stromberg vs Zenith carbs

I have a original stromberg u-2 carb. It's made of pot metal and this seems to have limited my options. The only place I can fine to rebuild it is a company in Australia. They will replace the body with an aluminum one. This will cost well over $1000USD.. The other option I know of is obtaining a new zenith carb.

I have a 22a engine

Here is the question

What is the better option of the two?
Are there any other options?
Has anyone used both models, if so what's the more desirable carb?

I'm looking for anyone and all thoughs and advice.

Thanks
Shaun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Re: Stromberg vs Zenith carbs

Hi Shaun,

I replaced the original carb on my 1930 W-8 with a Zenith that I purchased some years ago. I have been more than happy with it.

I believe that Frank W. carries the carbs and could tell you which model is best suited to you.

RonJ

Where Are You From? www.ronjpics.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? 4-07

Yes the Stromberg U2 and U1 were used on some 30's Durants or Tillotson W8A and SP26A on others. Also J4A, J5A, J6A and J7A on 22A's, 1931 - 33.

Check the Tech page about replacement carbs. As Ron said he's replaced his, the 1931 614 here has a new one, and the 1929 40 at Cumberland museum has a new zenith, also. The new ones work as well or better than the old and sure a lot cheaper than having yours rebuilt. Frank should have them or know where to. Rick did a write up in the Tech Page.

Norm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Hi Shaun, I know that some guys have gone to a Carter BB-1 carb. I don't know how it would work on your Continental motor, but others have had good luck with them.

Rebuild it yourself! You can't get a much simpler carb unless you use a can with a small hole drilled in the bottom. Most of your 'rebuild' procedure will consist of just cleaning up old varnished up fuel residue. The carb consists of three main parts of pot metal. Take pics or make drawings if you need to for reassembling. Three things I can think to tell you; there is a 'concealed' brass screw under the choke activating lever that must be removed before you take off the upper body (venturi), you'll need to cut your own gasket to seal everything back together, the main wear parts are the needle and seat,but maybe yours aren't too bad and can be reused. Oh also the float chamber covers can crack easily where the fuel supply line screws in (don't overtighten)--but I think the Butters repro guys might still have Harvey Frid's pattern to recast these? Afterall it is the carb your car came with. Roscoe

Hi Guy,

I am sure I have many of the patterns to recast the white metal parts for the carbs. I will look today. Can you send me some pictures Shaun?

Mike, do you have housing patterns for the Tillitson SP carburetors? There is a good diagram in the Tech Section (carburetor service, then SP diagram)

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D63 4 door sedan

Mike,

Thanks! I'll get that photo for you tomorrow.

Shaun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 De Luxe Sedan

Here are some photos. Sorry for the low quality. Stamped 22A directly under the mount. Also stamped Stromberg U-2 and Stromburg Motor Devices Co Chicago USA

Shaun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 De Luxe Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club