Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
oil fittings

Its that ****ed guy again--
I have an oil fitting on my water pump that is leaking water . Can anyone tell me if these are threaded or if they are just pressed in ? I am thinking of changing it to a grease nipple . It sort of has me curious about the water . Why should the water be coming out of an oil fitting?? Maybe an internal problem ? The pump was rebuilt by a good friend who is pretty knowledgeable about this sort of thing so I would think it is good.
The same old problem--Ine step foreward and two steps back
Thanks for all the assistance guys
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: oil fittings

Hello Ken,
what style pump do you have?
Is it the one with two grease fittings?
If so just unscrew and repack and screw it back on.
Franz

Franz
Omly one fitting--it is a flip top that you squirt a bit of oil in . Not a grease fitting .I believe it is just pressed in so should come out with a bit of a twist.I will thread and replace it with a grease fitting when I remove it . I dont want to break it off onside so want to be sure I am doing it right

Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

There's a lot of water pump discussion at:

http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/579057/1

Do You own a car built by Durant? y

Ken Yes that 'flip-top' grease fitting on your water pump is original. There should be two, front and rear of the h2o pump shaft. they had a short 'wick' that went down to the brass bearings. Fill with oil. There is no actual hole in the bearings directly onto the shafts (this would leak) ,the bearings will actually absorb the oil, and it will get to the shaft. Roscoe

Sorry Should be bronze oilite style bushing, not brass.Roscoe

I can see now that there was two at one time. Someone welded the back one over--. Just another story in the ongoing saga.I have put enough grease on the shaft that it should be okay but it might be a good isea -if I can find some- to drill and put two in .
I am shopping today at my favorite auto supply store .

Well Ross,there is definitely a hole right thru to the shaft in my pump. dont know if it was drilled in after or what but it is there. I checked with a short feeler and saw the end in the hole for the shaft. No problem there anyway --
I now need a bracket to fasten the switch to. Any one have a spare to sell ??
Ken

Can you post a picture for us all to see?
Makes troubleshooting easier, ha ha ha.
Franz

Cant find any oil fittings so am going to have the holes tapped and put grease nipples in. that will solve all the problems.
Franz--I will post pictures tomorrow if I can get them clear enough to see anything. Have a good digital camera so should be able to do something good.
I still want to go see your shop ome day . I have a friend here that I know would love to see it too--He is a good self taught machinist and is a very good man to kmow for a guy like me Matter of fact-if you ever come up this way you should call and I will take you to see his shop . I feel he is a genius

Ken

The Durant Motors Automobile Club