Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brake switch

Its me again with another dumb question --
What about a brake switch?? didnt have one on the cars I had so dont know what it looks like or where it should fit. Anyone have info on this ? I have wires to hook to it if I find one --
Also need the inner horn button mechanism--(spring and plate as well as the wire end etc ) for under the button. Had 2 parts cars and neither had any of these things. Talk about flying blind--just going from one thing to the next.
Thanks guys --
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: Brake switch

Don't know which car you're talking about but on my 25 Star, the switch sits on a cross member under the front floor board near the seat. A chain connects it to the brake pedal shaft. Pushing the brake pulls the chain activating the switch.

Franz made up some horn button switches that fit the car too.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

30 Durant--Model 614 deluxe rumble seat coupe

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Hi Ken.....

First photo is an original Durant switch part # 40394 it was used on 407, 610, 612, 614, 615, 617, and 618.

The second photo shows the Durant switch as compared to a 1930-31 Model A Ford switch part # BB13480

Very similar and just need to redo the mounting bracket.

Hope this helps, seems like you are making good progress.!!

Frank ---

Photobucket

Photobucket

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

Ken You need to ask the guy that sold you that car what he did with all these parts! Yes Frank is correct, Just modify a Model A stop light switch (not too hard). The switch screws onto a pretty substantial support mount that bolts to the bell housing cross member. Do you have that part?. The horn contact is just the wire running up through the column, then through a rubber "T" shaped plug at the end of the inner column (I made mine out of plastic turned down), then just put a small washer on the end of the wire, and solder the end of the wire to form a contact (probably some hand work to get the right height, so you will ground the horn button onto this contact when you push) Go to the hardware store and find a spring that will fit inside the diameter of the horn button contact, and on the outside of the rubber or plastic plug you've made, to locate the spring. Of course the spring is about 1/2 or 3/4 inch long and pretty weak. Roscoe

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 standard coupe

Ross . you have to remember Ken found a bolt, while out moose hunting, and is building a car around that bolt.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Norm It seems like most of the cars I work on are difficult to find parts for. Sometimes it would be nice to call up and order 'interior trim screw set for 30-31 model A' or 'left rear quarter panel for 66 Mustang' and have it on your doorstep the next day! But we would miss the challenge. Occasionally I even work on cars that you have to know some foreign language terms, just to add to the frustration. Roscoe

You got that right, parts for our cars is a challenge. At least there are more 30 parts than some of the 32 ones by Dominion. Again some of ours are not US used and vice versa.

Have to remember also US Ford versus Can Ford A is different also. Yours slotted screws and ours Robertson, bumper medallions also different so you just can't order from Mac's for a correct restoration. I can recall hearing in the 60's if a Canadian A crossed border for a meet, we got told our cars were wrong and would lose points, because they didn't know our differences. Same with your T's, 3 door touring or one door roadster with drivers door a stamping only. Ours had all doors so we could stumble over the tranny / brake lever getting in or out, ha ha. Only saw one of those touring cars below Perth and the owner (in our club) explained it was a US touring.

Well guys--maybe parts are difficult to find but sometimes we get lucky. This is one of those times. After looking at the pictures Frank sent I was sure I had one somewhere--could only find the top and no base . I went to town and checked and a guy ordered me a new one --He says it is the right one . I will let you know when I get it in a week or so . Cost $36.00 plus shipping but not bad for the scarce item it is .
Now for the horn innerds
Ken

Now another question.--anyone have a diagram of where this brake switch fits on my car ??
It would be nice to be able to place it in the right spot when I get it . I have heard about it fitting on the cross member that holds the bellhousing---Cant find any signs of it there
Picture would sure be helpful
Thanks again
Ken

My 4-07 has the original brake light switch, but I do remember looking at it and thinking how easy it would be to mount a fairly modern spring loaded brake light switch from a Chev pick-up truck. It had a long arm on it and the circuit closed when the brake pedal moved away from it. Wouldn't be hard to mount.

Not original, but it would work and nobody sees it. Just like my rear telescopic tube shocks ...

RonJ

Ok Ron .. where is the switch or do I go after Dot again to see (grin). If you have your camera handy send me a pic and I'll forward to Ken.
Yes we both have those tube shocks, as you know. Keep hoping to find arms, links and plates for the front at least, for my Munro type. (arms come off, unlike the 30 arms)

Ken, My switch is similar, and is screwed to the main wooden frame under the floor. Put a split pin or thin key ring through the hole in shaft at rear to avoid pulling too far. Use a spring at front that will allow switch to operate and then expand to take up variance in pedal travel. Use stiff wire between spring and pedal.
Also in response to your earlier post I have used fuse blocks under dash, to allow various functions to have individual fuse to minimise the problem of searching for fault with only one main fuse. Consult your harness maker as to fuse ratings but always have main fuse (25 to 30 amp) slightly heavier than others so they blow first. IE: Lighting x 3 Head lamps 20 to 25 amp, dash 5 to 10 amp and side/tail 10 to 15 amp. Brake lamp/s 15 amp x 1 Horn 10 amp x 1 etc. Put fuse block where it is easily accessed particularly for night time emergencies.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D66

Phil
I have done all you have suggested in relation to the wiring--. fuses are all in and easily accesible. The guy that built my wiring harness is a perfectionist-- and a really meticulous worker.
Thanks for the info on the brake switch --every little bit helps. A picture would really be great but I probably will be able to get it working anyway .
Thanks
Ken

Hi Ken.....

If it ever stops snowing, I will get out to one of the 1930 Durants and get you some pictures of the switch mounting.

You need to keep winter up your way I've had enough.....

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant-Dort buggy

Thought you sent the stuff up here Frank ... already shoveled at 5am and I see its about time to do it again. Older I get the less I like winter.

Ebay BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH FORD MOD~A VINTAGE RAT ROD ORIGINAL Item number: 290297398004

I shouldn't put this here. Looking in rat rod lights to see if anything remotely D, here's one tail light Ken might like .... 260361580904. What they will do to sell items or catch your eye.

Norm
Not exactly the type of TAIL light I need --I have 2 of the right ones anyway -- As the fat lady told the fat man -- "Thanks for the tip"
Ken

Ken The brake light switch does not fit on the bell housing crossmember itself. There is a bracket that bolts to the crossmember and the switch screws onto this. This bracket also serves as a pedal stop. Tell me you have this part? Roscoe

Well I thought I could take a pic of Dorothy's but I'll be darned if I can find any unit anywhere. Nothing attached to the floor boards and only spring is the one to bring the pedal back which is at the end of the rod beside the battery box. Not even any loose wire. Can't get under her at present in my winter jacket.

Petal stop ?? Crossmember ?? No cross member until under the front seat. Thought my wiring diagram of the frame in the 30 614 owner manual must be wrong as it showed no cross member and I sure haven't one.

Thank you Ross. Made me go out again with a trouble light and playing with the emergency lever and watching the action I noted a wire just ahead of the battery box to something under the car. Then this tiny thing sliding back and forth. Eureka Dot has her brake switch but as I said I can't get under her to attempt a photo. Not sure it would show up well with all the tons of grease over everything. I'll give you that she was well greased in her life.

Norm

Ross
I would love to be able to tell you I have the bracket--but unfortunately I do not --Seems like maybe the bolt holes are there but nothing attached to it .Should be an easy piece to fabricate I would think . Just have to know for sure where it fits and what it looks like . The farther I get with this car --the more I seem to need-- hopefully this is reaching the end .If you can take a picture It would be a big help .
Thanks again Ross
Ken

Ken This part(the bracket, support plate, whatever you want to call it), also has the function of the support for your clutch return spring and as I said above as the pedal stop(and therefore adjustment) for your clutch pedal. You don't have this I guess. I think it is now time to seek out the guy who sold you this car and inflict bodily damage on him!Does anyone have one to sell Ken or easily photograph, if not I can take mine off my car and send a pic, but save me some work.Roscoe

Ross
Bodily harm would really feel good to me --but unfortunately he has passed away and gone to the big scrap yard in the sky . Maybe he did the same to someone else and they got to him first .
I think I will be able to figure out where this thing goes and how it works once I get the switch.
I will keep you informed--
I would also say --dont take the piece off the car--just take a picture with it in place--that should be enough for me to work with . Dont do it yet--wait till I see the switch .

Thanks Ross
Ken

Okay --I got the switch today and it will work --- got it at napa. Part number is 8485 and its a 7DR STOP LIGHT SWITCH . Cost with freight and tax was $50.04 It is not exactly like the one in the pic Frank sent but will definitely work. The two mounting holes are both on one side instead of one on each side .
Now if I can get a bracket to mount it on I will be away to the races again --
good luck to all that need one.

Ken

I ordered a Model A brake light switch as has been suggested. When it arrived, I tested it with my ohm-meter, and found that it seems to be a normally-closed switch. When I pull on the spring-loaded plunger, the switch opens. Isn't this opposite to what I need ? I expected the switch to be normally-open, and that it would close when the plunger was pulled, thereby turning on the brake-light. For this Ford switch work, the plunger has to kept under tension ( to keep the contacts open) until the brake-pedal is pushed, which would then let the switch return its normally-closed position. Seems backwards to me.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 model D40

Dave ... on Dorothy the plunger is in until I push on the brake pedal, allowing the plunger to come out. I just went out and checked the 32 to be sure. Works just like you say, plunger is held in until released.

Norm

That seems to be the way mine works too. I just checked the thing to find out how ir works--reaaly a good puzzle rebuilding a car with out plans of any kind. But then I always did like puzzles--
I am planning on hooking it up this coming week.
Seems to have a short bar that connects to the pedal stop bolt and it pushes the switch in. when you step on the brake it releases the switch.
Learn a bit more every day
Ken

Talking to Dave his switch seems to work in reverse. Plunger out, light off, plunger in, light on. ???

Ya got it Ken ... our D's have a plate to hold the plunger in the unit. Once you step on the pedal, yell "whoa", the plate moves away from the plunger allowing it push out of the unit and the brake light on. Releasing the pedal allows the plate to push the plunger back in and close the switch, so light is off.

I guess I got it right. Reg Bent called me to tell me I was right on in my calculations. Sure nice to have conformation anyway . Many thanks Reg . I need all the help I can get.
All that remains now is to get it on the car and hooked up --Thats my project for the next days work -when ever that will be. To many other things going on so I dont know when I will be able to do it. Going to have to train my wife to do all the other jobs around here so I have time to work on the car --
Ken

Sounds like she has "you" trained.

Think we might have solved Dave's problem, partly. He's working on a 29 40, which is a lot different to our 30's.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club