Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Demountable rims for my 1927 RUGBY wheels - Where to find?

Hello dear friends,

Greetings from Brazil!!
It is been a week since my RUGBY arrived !!!
I am so happy !
I would like to know where I could buy a demountable rim for my RUGBY wheel type?
I saw 2 different types of demountable rims at macs antique auto parts website, but it is for FORD model T. By your experience would you say I could use one of those Ford model T demountable rims in my 1927 RUGBY? If yes, which between those 2 different models shown in the website should I choose?
http://www.macsautoparts.com/tt.html

I am adding a pic of the wheel to give you all an idea.
1927 Rugby

Thank you all so much so much in advance, I am looking forward to hearing from you soon,

Dib Franciss
(55 61) 9981-1562
(55 61) 3273-5249

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, a 1927 RUGBY, model M

Re: Demountable rims for my 1927 RUGBY wheels - Where to find?

Hi Dib.....

If your tires are 4:50 X 21 size the Model T Ford demountable rim can be made to work. The valve stem hole is in the wrong location. It can be redrilled in the new rim and the old location filled in.

You should be able to locate a good used one in your Country.

Good luck with your car......

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant-Dort buggy

Where did you see these rims in Mac's ?

T45021RIM EACH 0.00 RIM Discontinued 1926-1927
T3035RIM EACH 265.00 RIM DEMOUNTABLE 30" x 3-1/2" CLINCHER TYPE 1919-1926

There was talk in Forum last year about using T rim for a Jim's 28 D with narrow width. A member had one in the US and shipped it up here to Jim. Can't seem to get Forum to bring it up. Under A CRY FOR HELP........HEEELLLLPPPP doesn't work. Last entry is April 4 08 on this. Gord suggested the T rim and Jim said it wouldn't work on his. Mind you Jim's might be an odd ball rim compared to your Rugby.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Hi dear friends,

Thank you for your opinion.
Unfortunately here in Brazil it is not so that easy to find parts even for the Ford T, as in the US.
I will see if the tires are this size, Frank.

Norm, I saw those demountable rims for Ford T in Macs website. Just try to search for name, then type demountable rim. They seem to have them on stock.

I am wanting to know about this rim because when I received the car from the company which did the transportation I realized that one of rims had broken during the trip. I needed to use the spare tire. So that's why I am willing to buy another.

Thank you,

Dib Franciss

Hi Dib.....

Those rims that are on Mac's website are for the larger size tires (30 X 3 1/2)used on the earlier T's. (I'm a dealer for Mac's)

The T rims you want are used on the later (1923-1927) T's with demountable Balloon tires. It is an easy project to relocate the valve stem hole.

No matter what you find the shipping costs to Brazil are going to be high. So probably best to find the correct Star Rim.

When you get the tire size on your car, contact me, I may have a rim that will work for you.

Enjoy your car......Frank

---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

Hi Frank,

Thank you for the information about the correct rim for my 1927 Rugby. I am so happy with it very near me!!
Since I want to drive it safely I really want to have all those items revised and mended so that I can drive it securely and comfortably.
So you are a Macs dealer, how nice! I bought many new parts from them to my Ford 1929, Phaeton, just restored.
Indeed the shipping to Brazil is unfortunately always high...
Well, Frank thank you so very much, I will see the exact size of the tires to tell you soon. I wish I could have all the rims new!

Thanks a million for your help.

Thank you so so much,
Dib

Dear Frank
I examined my goodyear tires and it is written:
5.00-19 G-100
Does this info tell anything to locate the right demountable rim for it?
One more question, where should I find brand new tires this size for a good price?
I saw some pics in the Photographs section and I found someone from Argentina. I don't know if he is active partner in the forum. Do you know any Durant partner in Argentina?
If yes it could be nice to find out prices to buy there. The shipping and price can be probably very reasonable since I am in Brazil.

Hope to receive your wise tips !
Thank you in advance,

Dib Franciss (BRAZIL)

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, a 1927 Rugby, Model M

That size tire is about the same as a Model A Ford. A lot of old size tires are imported to the USA from Chile, so should be closer to you. At one time, many of the reproduction parts for Fords were imported from Argentina. The tooling may still be there, but may also have been moved to China.

Do You own a car built by Durant? y

Lucas has the Goodyear diamond tread black or white wall 4.75 / 5.00 x 19, we all like and used on the Ford A's etc, plus a few other 19's. And they ship world wide. I think they are the only one to carry the Goodyears now. Muy understanding from Lucas is their tires come from South America. Take a look around the site for others.
http://www.lucasclassictires.com/

Coker Tire also has the various 19's but not the diamond tread Goodyears. http://store.coker.com/

I have a ton of these rims... and can send you an image of the rim itself if you like.
I have an image of the wheels on my website, just in case you need that too.
http://www.oldcarlenses.com/Wheels.html

Where Are You From? www.oldcarlenses.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many

Frank, Larry and Norm,

Thank you so much for your response.
I keep on recovering from my pharyngitis, so forgive me for I was out some days.
I am still looking for the rim for my 1927 RUGBY. I took some pictures then I will post it here today.
I am also trying to find someone who would have a similar rim nearer me. It could be in Argentina or Uruguay. Hope I find a way to solve it without paying too much money. I will let you know.
Anyway I am sure in this wonderful Club everything is possible.

Thank you so much once more and please forgive me for I didn't answer before.
A big hug for you all,

Dib Franciss

55 61 99811562
55 61 32735249

Dear friends,

I took some good pics of the rim I am searching.
You will be able to see the damage in the rim. So I need now search for new ones.
These are 19"

Demountable Rim (1927 Rugby, Model M)

Photobucket

Demountable Rim (1927 Rugby, Model M) 03

Demountable Rim (1927 Rugby, Model M) 02

Demountable Rim (1927 Rugby, Model M) 02

Dib
Do you not think a good machine shop could repair the rim to make it usable? It is amazing what they can do these days with metal. A good welder could repair any cracks -then straighten and temper the rim to its correct hardness . I would try this to see what happens
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Hi dear Ken,

Thank you for your suggestion. Indeed in my ingenuity I thought this damaged rim could not only be easily repaired, but I could easily find someone who would be able to reproduce a rim, then I would replace all them as a security tip. Unfortunately in the city where I live, Brasilia (capital of Brazil) is new city. Only 49 years. So it means we don't have many classic cars. Until now I didn't find a professional who could do the job of repairing my rim.
I already made many phone calls to other cities in Brazil but still no trace.
Last week I contacted a guy in Argentina who has some old parts and even owns a 1930 Rugby truck. He promised to help me. Let's believe it.
As you can see, I am depending on the good will of some friends.

I am so grateful to each of you in the Club who read this topic and is trying to give me a hand.

Tell me guys, where in the USA or South America is it possible to buy or to find someone who would be able to reproduce strong and reliable wooden wheels for our cars ?

Big hug from sunny Brazil,

Dib Franciss

55 61 9981-1562
55 61 3273-5249

Here's one place:

http://www.calimerswheelshop.com/

Do You own a car built by Durant? y

Oh Thank you for the tip.
I went to their website and just sent an email also asking for a help to find the rims.
Hi Frank, did you happen to find anything which could fit?
I took some time seeing the wonderful pics in the "Photographs" section. It seemed to me all of your Rugby and Star cars have new rims. So my question remains...where could I replace all my rims, or at least find one to replace this damaged one...?!

Thank you all once more,
Dib Franciss

i got a tire catalogue from Universal Tire in the mail today..they sell new clinchers and other rims....

request a catalogue:

UNIVERSAL VINTAGE TIRE
1-800233-3827
2994 ELIZABETHTOWN ROAD
HERSHEY, PA. 17033

LOCAL & INTERNATIONAL : 717-534-0715
24 HOUR FAX: 717-534-0719

WWW.UNIVERSALTIRE.COM

EMAIL: SALES@UNIVERSALTIRE.COM

i also found my coker tire catalogue and they sellour rims with 4 bolt holes from 17-20 inches....cokertire.com i think

Hi Gary,

Thank you for the tip of Universal Tires. I already sent them a message asking for the catalog and I also sent some pictures of my damaged rim. Hope they have the right one.
You mentioned this one, I will try to find it. How about your car's rim?
Big hug,

Dib Franciss

MAKE SURE TO CHECK "COKER TIRES" AS THEY SHOW A PICTURE OF THE RIMS LIKE OURS WITH BOLT HOLES...I DO NOT RECALL SEEING BOLT HOLEPIECES ON UNIVERSAL PICTURES

Hi Gary,

Thank you for the message. I tried to find the rims in Coker Tire website but I didn't find. Would you please, be kind enough and send me a link?

Frank, did you find the right rim for me among your rims?

Thank you in advance,

Dib Franciss

... I never thought it would be so difficult to find the right rim for my Rugby. I confess I am very unhappy with this situation.

Dib .. you have to remember your car is 82 years old. Durant went bust 1931 and off shoot companies continued to 1938 selling dwindling parts. Most of us can't find parts for our cars, and rely on clubs like this, so you are not alone. As an example, I'm still looking since the early 60's for a rad cap for a 30 - 32 D. Sure not optimistic 47 years later of finding one. I've a jobber like a good many of us have. And why Ford A parts have been substituted by others for missing parts ,on their cars.

Now in Canada, and I'm sure in the US, junk yards almost don't exist anymore, and sure don't have parts our age. I'm told wreckers now are only allowed to keep a vehicle x months ,before its to go to scrap and not over 20 yrs old. Sure not like the older days. In the 60's you could find parts all over the countryside and wrecking yards for almost any car ever made. Then came the 70's and Ont for sure, went out and cleaned the countryside of any and all derelict cars and farm machinery, it could find. Farmer might be keeping a few cars in his back 40, too bad, they got loaded up. Once they got their mitts on a car you couldn't beg, steal, or buy the car back. They were loaded on trucks and right to the scrap yard and shredded. Many stories of people following a truck with a fully restorable 20's or 30's (and later if that's your pleasure) vehicle on board or towed, to be told there was no way it was ever leaving the scrap yard in one piece again. We lost hundreds of drivable cars ,not to mention parts.

Its even worse now. Various Provincial Governments are bent on getting all older vehicles off the roads. Not talking 20 years but closer to 10 yrs old. Wrecking yards are vanishing like melting snow. You may of heard me mention Minikers. Well Randy crushed 2000 cars in 2006 to keep the Govmt enviro boys away from his place. I have a pic taken 2005 of a 1931 614 Durant sedan on its wire wheels, lights, rad and running gear looking like a very restorable car. That was one of the cars crushed. Beside it was a 34 Chrysler straight 8 .You can see rows of square bodied cars, now gone. Jasper Ont had one of the biggest wrecking yards for antique cars around and people flew in, round the world, to get parts for their cars. Durant's. Star's, Ford T and A's, Graham Paige's ,Chev's, Packard's, .. rows and rows of them, you name it Kenny probably had one. All now crushed and gone.

Not sure which of our prairie provinces, but they won't allow any car over 20 years old to be brought into the province, which includes vintage cars, for restoring etc, in an effort to get rid old older cars.

Can probably tell you a few other horror stories, as can other members, of their province / state's and clean up of vehicles / scrap metal at an alarming rate. You probably have better luck at finding car parts there than we have. Places like Cuba and South America still have old cars on the roads from the 40's and 50's as daily drivers. We don't. What the various governments haven't stopped to realize, is they are shooting themselves in the foot. Once they destroy the cars and parts, where are they going to get parts to restore their museum cars ??

Looks like the DMAC boys are trying to help you with your rim. It could be repaired and if you are lucky someone might have a spare one.
Norm

Hello Norm,

Yes, you're right...this is a 82 year old car, so patience is of utmost importance. Let's be positive until it appears.
This afternoon I took the damaged rim to an old blacksmith who is known among the collectors in my city. The thing is my city has less than cars with 8 wooden spokes, this is why it is so difficult to find someone to fix this kind of problem. Even in Brazil, which is bigger as a continent, it is not easy. I have been calling up a long list of professionals who advertise in the most famous magazine of old autos, and until now I didn't find much. But I keep on believing...
Thank you for you support and wisdom,

Big hug,

Dib Franciss

hello....i just found out that larry fogarrazzo has 20 of those rims....he is a club member....talk to him..... he has them

Gary ..that's what Larry said on Mar 1st, above. Sounds like the rim is being fixed at a blacksmith.

hey normie, reread larry's note...he has several of them and will send pics if Dib is interested in buying one or more.....no repairing necessary...just restoring......regards, uncle gary

Indeed, guys
Larry very kindly contacted me by email then I responded asking for pics.
I am waiting for his response back and his confirmation if he has the right rims for my Rugby and in good condition because I really like to drive the car.
Larry, please, don't forget me !

Dib Franciss (Brazil)

55 61 9981-1562

Dear Uncle Gary ..... reread what ?? Larry has rims as he said and could send pics. Dib said she has taken her rim to a blacksmith to fix hers.
What am I missing ?? Awaiting anxiously what I have missed, your nephew Norm.

Sorry for the delay... here is a split rim we have... I will tell Larry I posted this. If you need more detail let me know and I will ask him. The bottom shot shows the numbers pressed into the metal.
Star Rugby Split Rim 19

Where Are You From? www.oldcarlenses.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many :)

dear nefue Normie...i think you have it all in hand...now put it down, wash your hands...and come to dinner....

Bossy old Unc .. bet its SPAM ... euch. I washed a month ago ,can't be time again.

Hello Carol,
Thank you so much for sending me the pic of the rim you have. Forgive me for the delay to respond to you.
Since the last week I've been talking to a guy in Argentina and also a guy in Uruguay about rims for my Rugby. Let's see what happens...
This week I will go back to the blacksmith to see if the rim could be repaired 100%.
So let's wait until I give you an answer about the rim.
I am attaching a pic of one of the rims that the guy has. It seemed to me the right rim for my Rugby. Would you please have a look at it and tell me?
Thank you once more,

Dib Franciss

Photobucket

Photobucket

The tires I have now in the RUGBY are Goodyear 500-19. Do you think I can use this rim of the photo without changing the tire size?

Thank you,

Dib Franciss

P.S.: Oh dear friends, sorry for my name is so strange, but DIB is a man's name...!! But never mind, I am already used to see this kind of confusion! LOL

Hi dear Durant Colleagues,
Well, just a little not to tell you that I decided to buy those rims whose pics I recently posted here.
The guy who owned the rims had 5 of them and assured me that those had never been in use. So it sounded like a dream for me.
Hope to be "insured" for the next years at least in rims subjects.
For all of you with your friendly and supporting message I would like to express my gratitude from the bottom of my heart. THANK YOU !
So now, let's wait until the rims arrive !!

Big hug from a less desperate Brazilian man !!

Dib Franciss

The Durant Motors Automobile Club