Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
W5 Engine problem

Dear Durantonians:

Again I am posting this part of my previous question, as it may be hidden between so many subjects treated in the Forum. It is regarding the blocks W5A-600-A and W5A-607-A interchangeability?

I have two engines with the following engraved data

Engine..............#1..................#2
Block code a....W5A-600-A.......W5A-607-A
Block code b....20JA..............9HF
Head date.......1-6-5...............x-x-8
Head code.......W5A-601-A.......xxxx
Cylinder diam...86.9 mm...........xxxx

Engine #2 is the original engine of a M2 1928 Touring, it has been redone with new parts, and is in a shop far away, I do not have the data marked with an “x” and may take some time to get them.

Unfortunately after re-doing engine #2 appeared crack.

The question is if engine #1 block may be used to replace engine #2 block, using the new valves, pistons,cranckshaft, etc. from engine #2 recently re-done.

I know that it is a difficult question, but hope that some of the Durant knowledge fountains may help me.

Best regards

Ricardo

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M2 Touring

Re: W5 Engine problem

The answer would be Yes. There are only minor differences in W5's produced after 1928. Nothing that can't be worked around.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C Touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

Re: W5 Engine problem

Thanks a lot for all those that helped me with their replays, in the forum and in private line.

Regards

Ricardo

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M2 Touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club