Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
...don't want to destroy the fuel gauge

Hey folks,

Drained and pulled off my gas tank yesterday. It looks to be in pretty good shape, but I'm wondering whether I should degunk/derust/line it. I will have to get a bit more light into it to see if it's actualy got rust or gunk but for now I'm assuming yes to both.

I know there's options for derusting - CLR or other phosphoric acid solutions; muriatic acid; electrolysis. Degunking can be done with some sort of enzymatic/emulsifying cleaner (maybe Spray Nine?). Then, there's options for coating, like POR-15.

Or, I can ask a specialty shop to boil and plastinize the inside of the tank.

All of these may be viable options, but I'm concerned about my fuel gauge. This doesn't look to be removeable, and it currently works (complete with the spelling of 'EMTY'!) I'm afraid most of the above processes may destroy the float or linkage in the process. Since the tank is very easy to remove at a later date, it's not as if I can't do a very mild treatment at this point and only move to a more agressive treatment later if needed.

Has anyone had any experiences - good or bad - in this regard? Is there a good tank cleaning method which won't damage my gauge?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M2

Re: ...don't want to destroy the fuel gauge

I had the chance to remove the fuel gauge in my 1928 M2 Touring. There is a cap that keeps in place the glass visor, and the pice that hinges the wire with the cork on one end and the "EMTY" legend in the other. There is a cork gasket in beteen. The threaded cap has a very fine thread and it requires certain maneuvering to place the balancing piece and supporting plate in place.

Regards

Ricardo

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M2 Touring

Thanks, Ricardo - I'll see if I can pull the gauge off.
I see this looks to be in parallel with another thread, so probably enough said here...

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M2

John,
you can buy a fuel tank kit at KMS tools that includes cleaner and liner all in liquid form. It is made and distributed by the Eastwood compamy they have a good website and KMS stocks some of their stuff.
If all fails there is a company that does the job for about $180.00 last time I inquired about it.

Franz

The Durant Motors Automobile Club