Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
25 Star Kingpin Removal

Hello, I would like to remove the steering knuckles on my 25 Star. It looks like there is a pin that needs to come out to remove them? Are there any tricks to remove this pin, or does it pound or drill out. I tried a punch and hammer with no luck. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star Touring

Re: 25 Star Kingpin Removal

Just wanted to say; Is it not wonderful working on these old cars. They are so forgiving. Here you have used a punch and hammer and I am sure you banged quite hard. And here you are starting from zero due to initial lack of knowledge and you have not hurt anything. I just love it.

Where Are You From? www.bcsaggregates.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Grandpa's 1926 Star Touring

Just an observation. Would this pin be tapered? and if so, are you using the punch on the correct side?

This pin is not tapered but has a taper flat milled on the side contacting the king pin. Observation will show a "D" shaped end on the pin and this is the end you need to work from.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe

This is the setup on my 26 Star. Use and Brass or a hard plastic hammer.
Hit the pin on the side were it has a d shape, hard and fast. If it does not go take a
small torch and put some heat to it. You could also try to use screw loose or wd40 first. And don't be shy when you hit it as long you use a brass or hard rubber hammer.
Good luck
Franz

Rebuilt Kingpin setup

Thanks to everyone for the helpful hints to remove
steering knuckles. Now my question is are there any sources for NOS or remanufactured kingpins? Mine are wore about 5 thou. on bottom end and I would replace them if available. Thanks Again. Greg

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star Touring

Hi Greg.....

Franz makes new king pins.

Just go to the links page and click on the Vancouver Durant Star Connection for his web site.

You can't go wrong with anything Franz makes, true works of art !

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant-Dort buggy

That's true. I've got a set of king pins made by Franz in my 29 Durant.

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Sport Roadster

The Durant Motors Automobile Club