Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
15 U Continental in 617 Durant Photos

Hi All......

Been following the discussion about the 15U motor.

Here are a couple of pictures of the 15U in my 617 Deluxe Sedan, made in Lansing.

Note the add on generator, which replaced the original (still in place)

Cathy and I found this car in New Jersey a few years ago and brought it home. Nice solid car. Asked the fellow what he had done with the car since he got it(about 20 years ago). Said he backed it into the garage! Bought the car from a couple pictures he send me. Went to pick it up and inquired about the rad shell etc. His reply was it's all over here still wrapped in the paper just like it came from the chrome
shop.

Enjoy .......Frank

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

Re: 15 U Continental in 617 Durant Photos

Thanks Frank. This whole thing about 15U and 617 finally caused the old brain to kick in. Not sure if I rambled in Forum about a car I almost bought in the 60's for $50 up near Calibogie. Actually I did pay him the $50. My chum and I saw this Durant sedan beside a barn as we were coming down from Calibogie. Fellow had a couple of Essex sedans in the field we could see, and Maxwell's back farther we didn't know about. Lad outside Ottawa who's into Maxwell's got those back then.
Car was missing the rotor and tires were flat. Told the farmer we'd be back the next week end to try to start the car to bring it to Ottawa. Hey back then we were a lot younger and having no plates etc didn't phase us. Stupid also as we took the farmers word the rotor was missing ,and didn't pop the hood to see what was there. Next week end we went up with rotor off my 614, gas, battery out of the 614, and all 4 tires / rims off the 614. We figured it would make a good parts car perhaps as we demolished two 614 sedans we brought home or just another car we might even use. Everything looked 1930 614 style body wise, with canvas top on the top only, not down to the rain gutters of the 28 / 29. Same rad shell / crest of the 30 - 32, but flipping the hood it had a "reversed" motor. Well the rotor wouldn't fit, nor would the rims go on the wheels. So we wasted our time and said we'd be back the following w.e. with chains and drag it home somehow. Bugger sold the car during the week to an American and it was gone US way by time we returned. Never did get my $50 back.

Now we get into 617's this car must have been one. Back then we knew zip about models just our cars looked the same 30 and 31 ,sure different 28 / 29. We figured someone switched a 28 / 29 6cyl for the orig 22A one. Finally after 45 years I know this was a 617 and why some parts wouldn't work. Another mystery solved.

Norm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Re: 15 U Continental in 617 Durant Photos

Thanks for the pictures. Maybe if it's handy, you could get a couple closeups of the torsional vibration dampener as well.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club