Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Engine repair concern

Dear Durantonians:

Here I am again looking for help.

I have two engines with the following engraved data

Engine............#1....................#2
Block code a....W5A-600-A.......W5A-607-A
Block code b....20JA................9HF
Head date.......1-6-5................x-x-8
Head code.......W5A-601-A.......xxxx
Cylinder diam...86.9 mm...........xxxx
Engine #2 is the original engine of a M2 1928 Touring.
Engine #2 has been redone with new parts, and is in a shop far away, I do not have the data marked with an “x” and may take some time to get them.
I may have to replace engine #2 block due to a recently appeared crack.

The question is if engine #1 block may be used to replace engine #2 block, using new valves, pistons,cranckshaft, etc. from engine #2

I have heard that there have been 14L and 15L models and that 15L appeared in 1928. I do not know if parts are interchangeable or not. Also ignore to which model correspond the mentioned engines.

My concern is if would be more convenient to repair a block crack in #2 engine o to re-machine #1 to replace #2 if possible.

Heard about several crack repairing methods. Any advise about resuts and later performance?

Best regards from the South American pampas.

Ricardo

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M2 Touring

Re: Engine repair concern

14L and 15L are 6 cylinder engines

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D63 4 door sedan

were are the cracks on the block?
You can weld it but you have to follow a special procedure.
And only use pure nickel welding rods.
I welded mine and it seems to work so far. No problems yet.

Franz

This is generally not a do-it-yourself job. The professionals take them to a furnace brazing company that uses silver bronze and a controlled atmosphere at about 1300 deg F. Afterward, the block has to be trued up with line boring and surface grinding. Any soft metals will be melted out, and oil galleries need to be flushed clean. This will cost on the order of $1000. They do it on tractor engines as a regular thing. Having said that, my brother has brazed both JICase and Massey Harris engine blocks using techniques he's learned over the years. It involves the correct intensity of heat and peening the brass as it cools down slowly. Then hand-finishing the rough brazing so it is flush and can be painted over. He's also done some internal cracks, but tractor engines use cylinder sleeves so the job doesn't see the full loading.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Hi Ricardo
Here in the UK there is a process called cold stitching where the guy will come to you to carry out the repair. In most cases as long as the crack is external there is no need to take the motor apart. I don't know a lot about it but I understand it works very well, It may be something you can find out about. If you need any more info and I can help let me know.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 29 Rugby

Yes, that cold weld or cold stitching process Is a good method of repair...I replaced the headgasket on one of my early 4 cylinder flathead Hupps and found 4 cracks that had been repaired in this method all in the combustion area, two of the cracks even ran into the exhaust valve seats, I would guess someone at sometime poured water into a extreamly hot engine...Cold stitching is basicly a process of drilling a hole in the crack then tapping with a special tappered tap, then installing tapered threaded cast iron pins, the process goes on by following the crack and partly overlaping the pin before.

Bill

Do You own a car built by Durant? \'23 A-22 Touring / \'29 Model 40 Coupe

Ricardo, Google Lock-N-Stitch, there website will come up, plenty of info, repair procedures. You can have them do the repairs or you can do them. I suppose they will sell a kit with all you need.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes, 1930 Durant 614 Sedan

Thanks a lot for all the advises received about block crack repair.

I sitll question myself if my stand by block may replace the damaged one. Are the mentioned blocks W5A-600-A and W5A-607-A intercahngable?

Best regards

Ricardo

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M2 Touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club