Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Continental engine specifications

Fellow Durantonians and motorheads, I need your help!
Many of us, from time to time, are, or will be, in the process of hunting down information for the older engines, transmissions, differentials, and other systems in our Durant cars. Recently, I have been searching for information on the 1928 Continental 15U, 6 cylinder, 7 bearing motor, and have not come up with much of anything. Alot of this information is not published anymore and no longer readily available to the public. I am looking for charts that show the piston, cylinder, and crankshaft dimensions, with the tolerances and oil clearence specifications. I'm certain some of you have these old service manuals or books with this kind of information and would share it here. Perhaps one could also copy some of the information and forward it to the web administrator to place in the "Tech Page" for us all to benefit from.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 D75

Re: Continental engine specifications

Steve,
I have been gathering information for Locomobile and besides their own engines they used some Continental and Lycoming engines at the end. However most of these are 8 Cyl Flathead or "L" head engines.

Currently I have data on these and the other car engines (1926 to 1928) and I will be putting all of this on the Web soon for Club use in our Tech pages.

Hope this helps you.
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile Brogham, 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

What was the 15U used on, or did you mean 15L that replaced the 14L ? I notice Terry has little info on the 75 except to say the 7 bearing crankshaft. Must be sort of like our 22A but some Dominion's used 32A. Not sure what the difference is but I'm sure Gord would know.

Neither of my Dykes manuals says anything about the 15 period, just a few other continental motors. Actually both manuals slide over Star / Durant almost like they didn't exist.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Norm:
The Continental motor that I have is indeed a 15U and not the 15L motor. It could be that they are simular in some respects due to the fact that both have the 15 prefix. Because their is so little literature out there about the older Continental motors, I'm not sure of the differences between them. I'm hoping that someone will have some information on this particular size motor and can enlighten us. Perhaps other car manufacturers may have used this same configuration of motor and used a different serial numbering system. I believe that the 15U motor is the only 7 bearing, 248 cu.in., and largest motor that Durant used in his cars. The 15U motor was only used in the D75 model car built in 1928 and the D70 model built in 1929.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 D75

Actually the 15U was also used in the 1930 model 617 cars as well with a vacuum fuel system.
Club member and past Sec/ Teas Mike Larsen in Vancouver Washington is restoring a 617 coupe.
The engine is all stock and unrestored.
Lance Haynes San Diego

Where Are You From? www.lancedurant.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? many, many

So I see in Terry's site the 617 did use the 15U however more questions I guess. This is all cool. Terry's says fuel pump and you mention vacuum tank. Seems like the 617 used the "reversed" 6 cyl ( intake / exhaust drivers side) as we like to say with the 22A's, or am I wrong ?, but 30 - 32 body / crest and steeldraulic brakes. Seems to be a mixed breed model. How ever my 35 parts doesn't list the 617 as having a fuel pump the 30 - 32 D and F's had. Other places such as gaskets are strictly 70, 75, 617. Water pump same as 55, 63 etc so must be "reversed" motor. Fan belt is same 70 / 75 $1.95 but 617 $1.30 is different. Same for the mufflers one for 70/ 75 and another for 617. Motorstat same for 55, 60, 63, 65, 66, 70, 75. but none for the 617 like the 40. Ah .. more confusion re carb's 70/ 75 used Tillotson V1A or B and V2A or B. Don't know what the 617 used as my 35 parts has a generic carb for all 28/ 29 6's inc the 617. Depends on what Leaside catalogue you have as some have more detailed info than others. Just been going though all this about our 22A motors, models and years. Mine has a generic W8A for 30 - 32 D and F, but we know Stromburg U2 was used as was Tillotson J4A, J5A, J6A and the W8A. Even the tire rim for wooden wheel is different for 617 to any other and was $4.20 compared to the 407, 614 $2.65.
Sure are intersting models the 70, 75 and 617. Nothing simple with our cars or the same.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

15u is used in my 1929 model 6-70 coupe. email me your snail mail address and i will send the specs from th e owners manual and any motor age lists i have .....it is also in the model 6-75 durants

I sold an engine and 4 speed from a Model 75, along with hood and radiator to Jeff Cromeens about 15 years ago. Don't know what plans he had. He'd just had a fire, and was rebuilding his collection of Durant parts. I still have the shortened frame, front end, cowl and steering gear. It was made into a tractor once upon a time. I had taken a few photos, but they are buried away, probably Ektachrome slides anyway. About that time, someone near St. Cloud, MN was advertizing a Model 75 for sale. When I looked at it, it had a body transplant. They thought it might have come off of an Oakland. I thought it was interesting, but walked away from it. The 75 was quite a few notches above the M4 and 6-66s, etc. Probably in the Buick class. Maybe they did use a Fisher body??

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Re: Re: Continental engine specifications

We don't even know how built the STAR motor. but we have a 14L43168 can anyone tell us about it? Our if any of or Durant parts will fit this motor?
Thank you Jeff

Do You own a car built by Durant? I don't know for sure I have my fathers Star Cabriolet

The Durant Motors Automobile Club