Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Seat springs

Has anyone got seat springs for my car?? 1930 Durant Model 614 deluxe rumble seat coupe . I never thought of them till I saw the post here for a few. I could use front both seat and back and also the rumble seat both seat and back
I had thought of using foam for these but would much rather have the springs and do it right.
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: Seat springs

I once took an evening course from an old-timer on auto upholstery. He had a good business going with vinyl tops and convertible tops, but his specialty was taking foam rubber seat cushions and replacing them with steel coil springs. He said traveling salesmen demanded them. If you have an old spring to go by, it's not an impossible job to build up a new seat. There are places to buy the wire, the coils, the joint tubes, the spring clips, etc. A little extra work or money if you want the coils inside burlap socks. (original style). The bottom of the spring might be fastened to a wood or metal frame. The top and sides covered with a some layers of burlap. Hog rings. Then cotton batting and another layer of burlap, then the outer cloth upholstery. The wool cloth is very expensive. Leather is the worst. If you run your sewing machine off-course, it's ruined. The holes will show. With cloth, just rip out the thread and try again. I've probably forgotten some of the details, like special thread is used. Bee's wax to lubricate the needle, etc. I learned on a Pfaff Industrial and just recently found one, but haven't set it up. Might never. Just such a nice piece of hardware.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

i just sent for a catalogue from snyder's model a parts...all body style spring sets for a's...maybe they are fitted for our cars too

While Snyder's bread and butter is Model A parts, they started out seat making springs for all old cars. I called them two years ago about making springs for my Roadster and they told me they could do it.

So give them a call and see what they say.

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D60 Roadster

Hey Ken,
Measure your seat springs and call the old car store in Langley.
They carry a lot of Ford and chevy springs maybe one fits. I think the chevy ones should fit.
Franz

Thanks guys
I do have one problem with measurements --I have no way to measure them--have no seat backing or anything else to start from. The guy that I bought the car from threw away all the old wood do there is no seat frame . Has anyone got a piture and dimensions of the seats they can send ?
Thanks again
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

The Durant Motors Automobile Club