Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M2 Instruction / owner book?

Did a search on here but didn't come up with anything - does anyone have a source for a copy of the owner's manual that would ahve come with a 1928 M2? I am hoping this might answer a few mysteries, such as:

1)The oil dipstick thingie; how do I read that? Am I supposed to just feel the upper surface of the oil with it and measure against the top of the wire, or is is supposed to float autonomously and I read it? If so, it's not working....

2) the lever on the steering wheel hub - I'm guessing this is a hand throttle, not a spark advance? If so, maybe this is the answer to (3)...

3) there's no ignition switch....so.... how do you turn the car OFF? I am suspecting there is a hand throttle, and you use that to set the idle speed, in effect; the foot throttle gives more gas for driving; then to stop you probably kill the hand throttle? If this is true I'll have to figure out how the hand throttle connects to the carb, because now, it connects to nothing.

I am buying rad hoses this weekend and hope to at least start the engine briefly, so knowing how to check oil level and how to turn car off (short of pulling off a distributor lead or turning off fuel petcock) would be a plus!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M2

Re: M2 Instruction / owner book?

The oil "gauge" is supposed to float on the surface of the oil. You then just need to see that the top is between the marks on the block. Chances are the float has disintegrated or saturated.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Re: M2 Instruction / owner book?

Thanks, Vince. I was afraid that was the answer.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M2

The Durant Motors Automobile Club