Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Durant 610 Rim for wood wheel

All,
Looking for a 19" inch Metal rim for one of my Durant 610 wooden wheels. Two Rims would be better (one Spare Rim).

Tires not as important, But if you have an old one already mounted that's Okay too. Thanks
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile Brogham, 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Re: Durant 610 Rim for wood wheel

I have 2 wood tires,12 spokes made of wood (OFCOURSE) In the rims, in mint condition hanging on my wall. Are you intrested in them, I can send a picture.
Laurie

Do You own a car built by Durant? No

I forgot to give you my email address
blaurielab@yahoo.com
for the wooden stoked wheels set in metal rim.

Do You own a car built by Durant? No

Laurie,
Your Wood wheels appear to be for an Earlier DURANT car probably a 1921 to 24 model.

The Wood wheels and Hubcaps appear to be nice enought for another club member. Post a picture(#4)for all to see. I think you will find a taker.

But what I still NEED is the Outside Demountable RIM for the later 19" Wood wheels (1929 or 1930)!

Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Lance ... you will find a 28 / 29 rim will not fit 30 / 31 wheel. Vertually nothing pre 30 fits post 29 except the tires / tubes. You would swear the cars were made by a different Co the change is so dramatic.
Heres a pic of a 29 60 and 31 614 side by side here and they are nothing alike. The 29 looks like grandma's car taller and mainly wood etc and the 31 looks like it was her son's with mainly steel. Not slighting anyone, just saying the cars are like night and day to one another.
Norm

Photobucket

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

I you sure the car on the left is not a Model A made by FORD

Do You own a car built by Durant? star

Wash your mouth out Jan .. Found on road dead or Fix or repair daily(Ford). What an ugly word. Too bad Billy didn't get Ford and wipe it out back then to erase that blight.

I can assure you that car on the left is a 1931 Dominion Motors 614. I sure spent lot of my youth riding in and driving it. I bought my 30 614 in June 1962 at Leitrum Ont and drove her home. Brian bought the 31 614 the year after in 1963 up in Middleville Ont and drove it home. Now the irony of it all. Brian's father worked as a salesman for Campbell Ford (still in business today selling ... euch Fords). He told Brian off but good, for buying a worthless, useless, assembled Durant that no one in their right mind would own, ha ha. Don't recall if he ever forgave Brian. I can tell you that poor old car was not babied and we ran the roads back then, miles out of Ottawa, hunting out old car parts. At one point Brian used it to pull up fence posts. Litterly. Put a chain to bottom of the post, up over a 2 x 8 on end and other end fastened to the car. Drive ahead quick and let the weight of the car pull up the posts. Up the rear would go and as she settled back down, up came the post's. Stephan now owns her and she's still running strong.

Norm,
Thanks for the wheel Tips...you have a couple nice ones there! Yup you can really see the "style" change in that picture.

I do have a complete wooden 19" wheel with rim & tire that I got with my Loco's this Summer with 4 bolts on the demountable. The rim won't fit (tried it)on my wheels, but I may try changing the whole Wood wheel on the Front spindle tomorrow? Maybe that will work? If it's not too cold (above 60 F) I may just go ahead and measure that Top Wood Header for you! ;<)
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Lance .. you sure its a Durant wheel ? Wide spoke artillery type the 30 / 31's had ? Might not even be Durant but some other car. If my memory serves me right, even the lugs are different shape 29 to 30. Such a drastic change between the two years.
When we brought Dorothy home, we discovered the spare wheel, although looking identical as the other 5 wires, wasn't. As we winched Dot on the trailor, half way up the ramp the rear right tire blew. Knowing we had that spare wheel, we changed them, or so we thought. Hub opening drum side was too small to allow the wheel to fit all the way back. We had enough thread to attach the 6 nuts by almost one turn of the nut, only. It was enough to hold the wheel in place was we winched her onto the trailor and got her home.
She's still sitting that way until I can get the correct wheel back on her. You sure wouldn't drive her anywhere and expect the wheel to stay on. Have no idea what car that wheel actually fits, same hub cap opening of 6 1/2 inch. Wonder if its Chevy as 30 / 31 Chevy caps fit Durant's ? Same 6 1/2 inch opening and Stephan's 31 had a couple of Chevy ones when Brian 1st got her.

Wood header ... I was noticing your last email on that subject from Feb last year. Its all cool.
Norm

Re: Re: Durant 610 Rim for wood wheel

I have five wooden wheels in excellent shape. It consist of wooden spokes, wheel rim, five brand new tires. They are 19 in. They are off of a 60 series.
I also have the rear end, 4 speed transmission and bell housing, 6 cylinder engine. New brakes with backing plates and drums. Some Durant hubcaps for the wooden spokes. If you have any interest in purchasing please e-mail me. If you have any else interested please forward to them.

Thank you

Do You own a car built by Durant? A 1929 durant 60 Series

The Durant Motors Automobile Club