Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Interior Questions.

Regarding my 1930 614 De Luxe Sedan
I have a complete rear seat, but a frame only for the front seat (I'm missing the springs). Should I hold out and try to locate the inner pice, or have someone fabricate it?

Also, what kind of material was used on the window shades, door panels, and headliner?

Thanks
Shaun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 614 De Luxe Sedan

Re: Interior Questions.

Shaun With the number of 6-14 that are out there I would think you should be able to come across the parts you need. Have you asked Frank Witkowski? Mike Larsen 360-574-4882 might also be worth a call. Bob

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes, Durant A-22, B-22, 633

As Bob says, with the number of 1930 cars around someone must have front seat springs. Perhaps even Lance might after doing that 619.

Yes that's an interesting question. The 1930 614 sales brochure just says "Carefully chosen fabrics, tailored in the latest mode, give style and dignity ... etc" Doesn't give a clue what they used. Probably worded to cover open and closed cars. Yours is probably that brown mohair, most closed 30's had on seats, doors and other interior areas. I haven't a clue what the Dominion 31 / 32's used. Looks like dirty white corded stuff on the seats. You tell me the doors etc, I haven't an idea. Course looking stuff.
Norm

Door handles

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Here is a sample of the original interior. Could it be vinyl?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 614 De Luxe Sedan

Hi Shaun ... that door pic is my 32 material and same as the 31 614 here.
I don't think your material is orig. Might have been some 50 /60's change over by a former owner. Wouldn't think Durant ever used that roof strip that hides nail heads, on interior work. All orig seams in cars I have seen are butted together with no covering seam piece. Material on Dorothy and others goes to the headliner and held in place by the stiff cardboard behind the material, no seam covering. Door openings have a material covered tube type thing that's tacked on before the material is put in place.

I don't know if this helps but its an orig 1930 sedan and its uphostery I think your car should have. My old Special 614 in the 60's had the same material as does a 1930 Deluxe 614 sedan down in Nova Scotia.

Photobucket

I have tossed in the interior pic of the 1929 60 so you can see seams and headliner with no seam coverings, to give you an idea.

Photobucket

Norm
Who's car is that pictured on the bottom. I love that interior. Someone did a top notch job there.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Mike Well obviously that 1929 must belong to Laurel and Hardy from the two bowler hats on the back seat! Ross

He'll probably kill me for showing his car,ha ha. The car is in DMAC photo's 1929 60 Steve and Nicole Mercier. Those pics are before he did much to the car other than bring it home from Arnprior. It appears black in those pics but its as you see it here, blue and black. He's not repainted the car at all.
I knew the car from the 60's as in a garage a mile outside Aylmer Que at Nesbitt's Produce on the way up the Que side of the Ottawa River. It was orig owned near Luskville. Thats a story in itself with me uncovering its past for Steve.
Steve and Nicole did the entire insides themselves and yes its one bang up super job.
Here's a pic a few years after that should be added to the pics of it.

Photobucket

Shaun: Your original seat material was either a mohair or bedford cord. A 28 M2 I know of has a bedford cord type of material for the seats and the door panels are mohair. I used mohair all thru the DeVaux. Vinals did not come in until the 50's and 60's. Your headliner is probably/should be a cotton material. All areas would be close to the same color.
The round tube strips that Norm refered to are "wind lace". Strips of material are put around a soft foam material. I got all of these materials from the local upholstery shop supply houses.
You are in Oregon I think. In Canby is SMS mateials. I got my mohair from Doug. I know he had a few bolts of that typical mohair that is used in our cars.
Shades! Do you have the end fittings and the rollers? The material should be of silk. I found a shademaker to totally restore mine. I can give you more information if you want. Gary

Where Are You From? www.devauxregistry.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Thanks Gary .. couldn't think what it was called, wind lace makes sense to cut the wind.

Wikipedia says "Bedford cord, named after the town of Bedford in England, is a heavy fabric with a lengthwise ribbed weave that resembles corduroy." Origin: 1860–65

Wonder if that's what Dorothy has on the seats. Doors and interior sure aren't mohair in the 31 / 32 614 Dominion cars, as you can see. I wondered why Lance used that light blue mohair in the 619 rather than the material our cars seem to have. Of course 619 was produced pre failure of Durant Motors, so same material. Now your saying your DeVaux has mohair as well. Typical Durant products or off shoots, of not having same materials used at all plants.
Norm

The Durant Motors Automobile Club